LegacyGT.com

Oil recommendations

I've been using motul 8100 5w30 and have read about some people having issues with it thinning too much due to the fact its ester based oil and causing some oil leaking/consumption issues. I've been troubleshooting a possible leak from my turbo and was thinking might possibly be caused by the oil.

Can get pretty hot here in maryland. 90+ with high humidity. Thinking about going to a 10w30 or 5w40 and maybe switch over to amsoil. Never had any issues with amsoil on my old dsm's. Any opinions are welcome.

Your leak is probably not caused by the oil. I have used Motul 8100 for an oil change it was fine. Usually I use Motul 8100 5w40 or Rotella. Can't go wrong with either of those.....or Amsoil.

Leak from your Turbo should be investigated. Have you checked your oil feed line and oil return line?

With age the return line gets brittle and starts to crack / leak. On a 10 year old car this could easily be it.

Your leak is probably not caused by the oil. I have used Motul 8100 for an oil change it was fine. Usually I use Motul 8100 5w40 or Rotella. Can't go wrong with either of those.....or Amsoil.

Leak from your Turbo should be investigated. Have you checked your oil feed line and oil return line?

With age the return line gets brittle and starts to crack / leak. On a 10 year old car this could easily be it.

That ^

I have been using Amsoil European 5w-40 Full SAPS year round for over 4 years now in both my cars. I use their EA15K13 filters and do a 7000 OCI, after getting a report from Blackstone Labs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Turbo was replaced about 1 and half ago. Oil feed and return were all replaced at that time. Odd thing is it only smokes from the turbo after it runs for about 15 min. After that is basically goes away. Up pipe and turbo area is damp from a light oil leak. Was thinking about turbo seals but according to blouch there is no oil seal.

Figure worth trying to change oil type and viscosity. Might get lucky and the motul is making its way into the exhaust housing of the turbo causing the smoke. Doesn't use any oil so its not a bad leak but enough to smoke from the hood scoop while sitting at a red light. Enough to be annoying and stink.

I see no reason why in the summer month's you couldn't run 10w-40. I have run 15w-40 Rotella t5 in my wagon during the summer month's back in the years of the car when I was doing 3700 mile OCI.

For those who decide to run Amsoil, please contact Mike at AZPinstalls.com and let him know so he can become your sponsor. It's good for him and his relationship with the company. I think that's a still a valid point. My 5 year preferred membership is going do soon, I was reviewing my account the other day and notice that.

There is a good savings by being a member and UPS brings the oil to your door.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I like the idea of knowing that the Amsoil product is fine if during winter time I run it longer, more towards 8000 miles because its to cold to get under the car in the driveway and change the oil.

May be a quart or a little less. I keep saying I'm going to keep track one of these day's...

Again, I'll say I base that on the results of the Lab sample. It's been a while, since I sent a sample in. May be when this oil get near 7000 miles I'll send in another sample.

Changed the oil over the weekend. Course like always found other issues while I was under there. Passenger inner boot is torn yet again. Think this is my 3rd time replacing it. Think gonna go with some heatwrap on the down pipe this time around. Also found oil all over the place under there. Not massive amounts of oil just like a misting. Car never runs low on it so its not a bad leak just enough to smoke and stink. Shop said they thought it was my turbo leaking oil past the seals but that would have to be a lot of oil leaking into the housing to drip out that much.

Have to ask...do you let the car idle for long periods ? Why is that boot getting so abused ?

My DP is heat wrapped but my stock boot lasted 220,000 miles.

No I head out towards the country for work so not much stop and go. Car has sat for quite a while lately though. I hadn't really driven it everyday for over a year now. Ever since the smoking started I've kinda be frustrated with the car and more or less just parked it in the driveway.

Hose was replaced when the turbo was changed out. About a year and half ago. I've talked with blouch and they told me multiple times there is no turbo seal and the only way oil could get into the exhaust housing is if the crankcase was making excess pressure. Either bad pcv or cracked piston. I've change the pcv and also did a compression check. All checked out ok.

I did however notice the shop has the oil return line double clamped on one side which is odd. Usually don't see that unless somebody had issues with it leaking.

Your that double clamp may be hiding something ???

There should also be a small gasket at the top of the return hose flange. Unless Blouch uses a different attachment.

My thoughts exactly on the double clamp possibly hiding something. Hard to really see in there very good. My up pipe is cracked like all the invidia pipes right at the bottom flange. So I've got to take it off to get it re welded. Figure then will have much more room to look around.

Pretty sure blouch uses the same 2 bolt style return line gasket as subaru.

Archived