LegacyGT.com

Funny Smell & Oil Question

Hello all, I have a 2005 Legacy GT 5MT wagon with 155,000 miles. The car runs really well and have had very few issues with it (throws an occasional misfire code) since I bought it in January.

However, it does likes it oil, and goes through a quart every 1000 miles or so. Because of that, and also because temps here in New Mexico are routinely in the upper 90s in the summer and early fall, I'd like to switch to a 5w-40. I intend to use the Rotella T-6, but before I do this, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be bringing ruin upon myself. I am currently running Valvoline Max-life semi-synthetic without any issues, but I know that switching to a full synthetic with this many miles is generally frowned upon. So.... Is making the switch ok?

Now on to the next question, when I accelerate hard, a gassy/oily smell comes into the cabin. I would lean towards it being more gassy than oily, but that's what I got. There is no evidence of any oil leaking anywhere on the car, so I don't believe its just hot oil, especially as the smell occurs ONLY under hard acceleration. As the idle is also very rough, I had thought it might be a vacuum leak, but that just doesn't seem right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks a million.

Unfortunately I can't help too much but I didn't want to just note that in my 2009 Legacy GT as well as in my 2002 non-turbo Legacy GT, the oil quickly (after a fresh oil change) begins to smell like gasoline. I attribute this to the high mileage engines having worn piston rings and lots of oil burning away in the combustion chamber because it slipped past the pistons, as well as gas slipping past the pistons and into the oil.

I'm just pointing out that you could be smelling oil if the oil smells like gasoline. I'm at 127,xxx miles by the way.

Good luck!

You can use t6 5w-40. lots of us use that oil.

Check your power steering fluid and make sure its not getting low from a leak.

The smell may just be old grease, oil and crap getting hot and burning off.

These cars are known to have the right side valve cover leak, check for that.

Idle, have you replace the black o-rings at the TGV to intake manifold with the new larger orange ones ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Dealer, they are like $20 for the four of them.

I wonder if the auto parts stores have them yet.

Call one and tell them you need the O-rings that go between the Intake manifold and TGV's.

You could also contact www.AZPinstalls.com and ask them in a email, or www.tuningalliance.com in a PM from there thread in the Vendor Forum.

I got mine at the Dealer years ago.

This may work too, but I like to build a relationship with one of the above vendors, the pay back over time is priceless.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Ill order up some orange TGV gaskets and a new PCV promptly. They are cheap enough thank goodness. Power steering is full, but I have been told that the valve cover does have a leak, although I cannot see where. I also continue to have a misfire cell that I think may be a bad injector, but not sure. Anyways, thanks again.

Get under the car on the passenger side and look up at the back corner of the valve cover, you'll see the leak. You may need a good flash light...

Archived