LegacyGT.com

Front end shaking when braking

I cannot figure this out. When braking, I get bumpy shaky feeling in the front end when braking in the speed interval from about 48 mph to 38 mph. I can be at full highway speed, say 75 mph, hit the brakes and everything is smooth until about 48 mph and it gets bumpy until just under 40 mph and then clears up again. So far, I have rebalanced and rotated the tires and attempted the bedding process a couple times. The front rotors and pads were just replaced about 4 months ago. I am not feeling the shaking int he steering wheels, moreso just the entire vehicle. Any ideas what is causing this?

If you don't feel it through your steering wheel, inspect your LCA bushings. I had a torn LCA bushing on my driver side once and it cause about the same issues you're having. Inspect all you LCA bushings.
My wife's balls are delicious.

It could be the caliper going bad too. I put rotors and pads on my sisters car back in February because of a bad shake, it did it while driving so I thought the wheel bearing, he know it all but can't do sh*t husband had a "mechanic" check it out and he said rotors and pads so they showed up and wanted just that and nothing else. I proceed to tear down, then go get new parts since the ones on there I put on 1.5 years ago were under warranty. Goto put the new ones on and the driver side caliper piston would not go in at all, took the bleeder out and out came some nastiness it freed up enough to get it back on around new pads and I recommend her getting 2 new calipers. She didn't have the money so I finished up and went to bed the pads. 35 stop smooth, 35 stop smooth, 50 stop shakes till 35 and smooth again, go up to 70 stop smooth.... 50 shaking..... 35 smooth again. Went back and said, "get calipers ASAP!". Drove it 2 weeks ago move it so I could mow my parents yard and still shakes between 35-50 mph and no where else.

I was thinking it was possibly the rear brakes because I have been noticing more brake dust on my rear wheels than on the front, and thats usually not the case.

True, it could be the rear brakes. Also, check the bottom slide pins on the calipers, the rubber dampeners can wear out over time and cause the brakes to wear uneven. I've pulled all my rubber dampeners off my slide pins and it kept the brakes from seizing up on the bottom side of the calipers. Taking them off does not effect the braking.

Just something else to look at.

I did the bedding process twice already and front rotors and pads were done at 78k I'm now at 84k. It doesn't happen if I jam on the brakes it's more when I'm coming to see slower stop gently on the pedal and only in that 48 down to 38 mph range.

I did the bedding process twice already and front rotors and pads were done at 78k I'm now at 84k. It doesn't happen if I jam on the brakes it's more when I'm coming to see slower stop gently on the pedal and only in that 48 down to 38 mph range.

Now since you said that, to me that sounds like it's time for new rotors. Have you replaced your rotors at all? If unsure, take one of them in to your local parts store and have them measure the thickness. When the rotors becomes too thin, the shaking will happen more often. Having the rotors turned will only make them worse in a month or 2.

On these cars, it's a good idea to change the pads and rotors at the same time, and not get them turned.

• 1 month later...
Finally got around to replacing my rear pads and rotor and the shake is gone. Its been so.ungodly hot up here in nj its jus miserable be outside, but I got around to throwing the parts on today and it did the trick

Archived