LegacyGT.com

who likes volvos?

im looking for a cheap ride to get me back on the road...

love subaru but cant find a cheap one i want, volvos are cheap.

looking at the volvo 850. its a 96 autotragic tranny.

compression test and a turbo inspection for shaft play are the first things that come to mind. but what else?

very true... but i have no way to travel..

looking for something to throw an interlock into, so i can have a licence again. (i ride my little bicicleta to skoooo).

want something cheap, because those damn things have been known to skrew with electrical systems.

Ehhh...a Volvo is not a cheap car that I would drive. Those older Volvos are money pits and are already notorious for electrical issues as it is. If you want a cheap car, find one that is also cheap to repair since it will be pretty much inevitable.

very true... but i have no way to travel..

looking for something to throw an interlock into, so i can have a licence again. (i ride my little bicicleta to skoooo).

want something cheap, because those damn things have been known to skrew with electrical systems.

an interlock as in a BAC interlock?

Cheap car - Toyota Corolla.

Cheap Volvo - That ended with the 240.

I was thinking the same but I was going to let him decide what best suits his needs. If you can find a cheap, well maintained Corolla, it will get you wherever you need to go until you can get back into a Subaru.

Volvo "the original safe car". Good cars when they aren't in the shop. Newer Subaru's are definitely better than the older ones. I did extensive research prior to my Subaru purchase. Subaru lacks some of the newest features that the other manufacturers offer, but it's a really safe, great resale, and wonderful reliability.

Find a Cavalier. You can usually find a manual, in good shape, for under 1k. Get one with the 2.2L sohc with a timing chain not belt.

They run forever and are tanks. I have owned multiple. One I drove with a blown head gasket for about 6 months before it finally died. Still got me home from work that day :).

Find a Cavalier. You can usually find a manual, in good shape, for under 1k. Get one with the 2.2L sohc with a timing chain not belt.

lol i have that engine sitting around. not only did they use it in cavaliers but the smaller 2wd versions of S10's and sonomas. it really was a great engine and unexpectedly got me to 250k. but ironically the timing chain broke and now is just sitting around begging me to fix it. along with my subaru but i have a one car garage so only one engine out at a time.

so obviously im not looking into another project car, but thanks for reminding me about those cars i had neglected to think about those cars and having an engine i know fairly well.

corolla's are not a bad choice either, just had bad experiences with an 09. it was my girlfriends car and had been recalled multiple times to re-flash the ecu. had a crazy wobble braking down hills that the dealer could never fix.

she finally totaled it and bought a forester.

the 90's corolla's dont seem to cause other people too many issues though.

Do NOT buy a Volvo to be a cheap car. :lol: Buy one CPO to be a cheaper luxury brand alternative that is safe and makes you safe from spending any money on it. Do NOT buy a Volvo though to be your cheap car unless you understand them inside and out.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

thank you to what looks to be a volvo owner... i wanted to ask this community since its what i know and trust and ive gotten lots of new things to think about.

lets keep this going in a "what is who's favorite sub $1500 car thread".

i hope i will not regret what i am asking for...

Now you're talking! :lol: I bought a '14 XC-70 as my LGT replacement after 9 years. With a 7 year CPO warranty it was a no brainer (mine had 6 1/2 years left on the CPO, thank you 6 mo. owner!!!) when looking into these.

Now, that being said, if you look at http://forums.turbobricks.com/ maybe there are some ideas with the right bankroll backup and the perfect example you can get along fine. Who knows!

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

its still pretty cool to look at. I'm going to look at a second gen this weekend.

1995 2.2 sohc ,non interference motor, im assuming but there are always surprises.

180,000 miles or so, manual tranny.

i want to compression check it just in case and to be confident im not getting another turd.

anything else to check?

oil levels before driving it obviously, but if shes a leaker its not a deal breaker. but ill definitely make sure its not the head gaskets.

suspension: wheel bearing, tie rods, end-links hopefully not broken just a little loose.

the A/C not a huge concern though

Archived