LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag Recall Now Includes 5th Gens

Couldn't prove I'm not a robot on my slow phone internet, but there's nothing on the official Subaru recalls page indicating that the 5th-gen Legacy and 4th-gen Outback are affected, didn't come up when I searched my VIN there, either. Wonder where C&D got their intel?

Looks like I dodged the airbag recall and got hit instead with the steering column roll pin recall...yay! I guess I will be getting a letter from subaru soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, it looks like many cars we think are ok because they haven't been recalled yet, might not be ok...

April 13, 2016: Regulators state that there are 85 million potentially defective, unrecalled Takata airbag inflators that will need to be recalled—unless Takata can prove they are safe. So far, the recall has included 28.8 million airbags in the U.S.
so almost 3 times as many potentially problematic airbags out there than they have recalled to date...

I've been stealing knowledge from this forum for awhile. Most recently on how to change a low beam bulb (most difficult bulb I've ever changed) & thought it was time to join. The expertise here is fantastic. Thanks to all.

The '10 Legacy that I bought in Sept, 2014 does not show up for the air bag recall at safercar.gov. However, 2 recalls show up as 'Recall INCOMPLETE', A WVV32 Windshield Wiper Motor & a WVR28: Steering Column Electrical Roll Connector. Does that mean they were not done? The dealer I bought the car from told me all recalls were completed. Hence my reason for not checking for the last 1.5 years.

I recently started having problems with the radio controls on the steering wheel & now wonder if WVR28 has anything to do with it.

Yes, this is a safety recall.

Back when I had my '03 they issued a recall for a driver's seat bolt that wasn't properly torqued. Well, I had an amp bolted there and knew I had taken care of said issue so I ignored it. When I took it in for a leaky valve cover gasket (under warranty) they did the seat bolt recall.

The only way you might run into an issue would be if you had done something to modify the airbag system. Someone in the main airbag recall thread mentioned having the airbag light on due to a seat swap, and someone else posted an excerpt from the recall bulletin where it tells techs not to pass Go or collect $200 if the light is on. If the light is on and they jiggle the wrong wire, they could potentially set off one or more airbags, which is a good way to total a car and/or seriously injure the tech.

Just take it in on a Wednesday, your secret will stay safe :p

• 1 month later...

Archived