LegacyGT.com

Not your usual turbo it would appear

So I have a TD04H-16g-9.8t (geez that's a bit of a mouthful) ... or if you prefer an EVO 8 turbo with a 9.8 hotside lying around from a previous build.

I spoke with my tuner and he seems to think that it will be a nice upgrade seeing as it is bigger than the stock turbo on my 2005 LGT and twin scroll to boot.

I know I'll have to get at the very least a header that's configured for a twin scroll turbo (and will likely need an adaptor of sorts for that). Also will likely need a new downpipe.

Any thoughts on this turbo as an upgrade? How much of a pain will it be? Also planning on converting to FMIC.

There are other supporting modifications that will happen. I'm just looking for input on this turbo specifically.

I would ditch the whole twin scroll idea all together. Its way to much extra work and money without any significant gain over the direct bolt on single scroll options that are readily available.

I would ditch the whole twin scroll idea all together. Its way to much extra work and money without any significant gain over the direct bolt on single scroll options that are readily available.

Does a twin scroll set up really not add much benefit to spool time on these engines? I'm coming from the Honda world ... this turbo was originally going onto a stroked D series motor ... the twin scroll set up was highly beneficial. I guess this engine doesn't need quite as much help down low, but I figured it might be better/easier to use what I have than try to sell it and but another turbo.

I was planning on (eventually) getting an equal length header, I figured I could pretty easily just grab one that supported a twin scroll turbo.

Still working on where to go searching for stuff in the Subaru realm. Thanks for the link.

From the sounds of it I need to do more research on these engines and different turbo setups.

On a related note. Any recommendations for a turbo to get to about 300 whp? I like area under the curve as opposed to peak power.

Moore Performance Manufactured a few "DragonSlayer" headers that allowed you to bolt and Evo turbo to an EJ25
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Moore Performance Manufactured a few "DragonSlayer" headers that allowed you to bolt and Evo turbo to an EJ25

Hmmm. I may have to contact them directly when I'm getting to the point of actually upgrading the turbo. Doesn't look like they have that available on their website anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Upon further review I see that there are some single scroll offerings that should get me what I'm looking for. The VF29 and VF36 looks like solid choices.

Thanks for the input everyone. Learning a new platform is always interesting.

A vf52 with fueling upgrade will get you 300whp with no problem.

My wagon, on stock fueling, will make those numbers on a dyno other than the heart breaker Mustang Dyno it was tuned on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A vf52 with fueling upgrade will get you 300whp with no problem.

My wagon, on stock fueling, will make those numbers on a dyno other than the heart breaker Mustang Dyno it was tuned on.

Second, do a vf52 swap and make your life alot easier for same power.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe Brian has driven my car. So your not just talking my word for it.

The vf52 with a TA is a sweet ride. My 52 has over 83,000 miles on it, Dynoed at 21psi back in Aug 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I believe Brian has driven my car. So your not just talking my word for it.

The vf52 with a TA is a sweet ride. My 52 has over 83,000 miles on it, Dynoed at 21psi back in Aug 2011.

TA = Tuning Alliance Tune?

If I'm planning to make the switch to an equal length header would the VF52 still be less headache than other options?

I don't want to sacrifice low and/or midrange power to get more peak power. Just looked at a few dynos and it seems like a sweet little turbo. I'll put that in the possibility vault somewhere at the top of the pile.

I still kinda want to make the Evo turbo work ... just because. But I think I'm going to go a little more tried and true on this car than I went on my Honda. Thanks for the input.

Yes, TA is Tuning Alliance.com

Not sure you'll need the header, most of us don't bother with that.

So you had a D16z6,or y7, Have you even seen one like this one ?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0750.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/IMG_2428.jpg

The car in your avatar looks familiar, BigTuna from over on D-series.org?

I've seen several well appointed drag hondas, perhaps even that one.

I had a stroked z6 with Viatra pistons. It was getting read to be turboed (again) when it went missing. Hence the LGT, and left over turbo.

I know many don't bother with a header, but I prefer the sound of the equal length header and I hear they make better power?

That's my son rota92 from about 10 years ago.

Sorry to hear about the car going missing, been there.

I know what you mean, I can't watch them here at work either from the forum...but I do have all the video's from those day's saved on "my videos" here on my work PC.

Nice lookin' pass ... and nice lookin' car.

Also thanks for the advice on the turbo. These subies don't suffer quite as much in the lower RPMs as the Hondas do. So I guess I don't need to get into boost quite as fast.

Not bad at all.

Back on topic a little bit. With the VF52 what's the transition into boost like? Is it pretty smooth ... or is it lag .. la- OMG my spine is in the trunk?

My Honda had a very smooth transition into boost and felt more like a larger displacement engine, rather than a turbocharged one. I'd like to try to replicate that as much as possible.

That depends on the Tuner. My wagon with the vf52 feels like a NA car. The boost is very progressive. Again it depends on which gear your in and RPM.

For normal driving even on highway at say 70mph, I can push on the pedal and feel the car respond.

On the back roads I tend to run the car through the first 3 gears about 3/4 throttle to about 5000rpm and coast for a while. The car is going quicker then you need.

Even in 5th gear at say 55mph the engine responds smoothly.

The car dose not have the lag and hit of some turbo cars.

Mike of Tuning Alliance is that good.

Hmmm. Sounds promising. I know you can only mitigate turbo lag so much, so reasonably smooth is good enough for me. I have a tuner local to me with a dyno so I'll probably have them do the tuning for the car.

Perhaps I can have the Tuning Alliance guys look at it if it feels screwy.

Hmmm. Sounds promising. I know you can only mitigate turbo lag so much, so reasonably smooth is good enough for me. I have a tuner local to me with a dyno so I'll probably have them do the tuning for the car.

Perhaps I can have the Tuning Alliance guys look at it if it feels screwy.

Do it once do it right! Plus a etune would be 250 vs 500 for most other shops dyno tunes. And we include 6 months of revisions if needed, and discounted price for adjusting tune for upgrades down the road

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived