LegacyGT.com

OEM fuel rail question with pics

I've been inspecting my stock fuel rails around the injectors and noticed this plastic piece (see red arrow below). What is this piece for and how is it called?

Also, the one on the left shown below looks much darker (or dirtier?) than the one on the right. Would anyone you know why?

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230698&d=1463884950

fuelrails.thumb.jpg.ef8139cfcd5f3c55c35b187c7c42462f.jpg

Actually, the dirty one is from the driver side of my 06, and the 'clean' one is from the driver side of my 05. As a matter of fact, only the driver side of my 06 is dirty like that. And that brown color is from the inside of that plastic piece, not the outside. So I doubt it is coming from oil spill or something.

Why you ask ? I'm guessing old age. As things get older, then tend not to look as nice as when they were new. ;)

I'll be 62y/o in a few month's, that how I know.

LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am having issues with cylinder 2 on that car. I am checking all options. And I just noticed last week that this 'pulsation damper' is indeed much darker than the others. So I am wondering if it could be the issue. There are very few threads I found online where people had issues with these. But when they did, they were getting misfires.

In any case, I bought a borescope. So I'll check the cylinder walls this week. It's just that this car does not burn a drop of oil. And last year, I did a cold leak down test myself and #2 and #4 were having 6, and 5.5% leak respectively. So I thought all was good mechanically.. But you never know I guess.

Run that question by Mike of tuningalliance.com and see if he's has any thought's.

Hey can you swap them from side to side and see there's any difference ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

That's a great idea.

I know our honda civic had the same type fuel damper. I wonder if they are all the same.

Iirc the dampers can be unscrewed from the rail.

Maybe try a junkyard swap for a "whiter" example?

I think you're right. I may do that. This little thing is not cheap.

The color under that one looks like rust to me.

Yeah I am not sure. If you carefully look to the left of it, you'll also notice the fuel rail is darker too. Strange.

I recall, someone posting the part # to those a while back. with a hefty discussion as well as to there need in our application, as well as to dampen or not when using aftermarket rails/ lines/ fpr

See if the auto parts stores have them ?

See what the ones in the junk yard look like.

FWIW, I've never really looked at mine. I guess they work ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I have identified what is causing my misfire in cylinder 2. All, please confirm you see some scoring :(.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIgyMWUXwo]cylinder wall scoring in cylinder 2 of EJ255 block - YouTube[/ame]

• 3 months later...

Archived