LegacyGT.com

Gas tank interchangeability?

Long story short, I have a 95 legacy L wagon that I put a 98 obw gas tank in. I figured if I just ignored the extra evqp lines I'd be OK and use the old gas tanks lines. The filler neck breather is different and now the car won't take gas. Ugh. It's acting like the neck is bad. It looks like newer cars have a different neck.

Long story short, I have a 95 legacy L wagon that I put a 98 obw gas tank in. I figured if I just ignored the extra evqp lines I'd be OK and use the old gas tanks lines. The filler neck breather is different and now the car won't take gas. Ugh. It's acting like the neck is bad. It looks like newer cars have a different neck.

Just out of curiosity, have the fuel lines been reversed? Pull off the inlet line by the fuel filter and put it in a bottle and then turn the key and see if you're getting fuel. Also, can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key?

Just out of curiosity, have the fuel lines been reversed? Pull off the inlet line by the fuel filter and put it in a bottle and then turn the key and see if you're getting fuel. Also, can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key?

Car runs. Just can't fill it fast. It's definitely because they changed the breather system. I'll get a picture

I failed but the breather on top tank is on the top of the tank and it's a plastic piece under a metal shield. Bottom tank (original from car) doesn't have that as you can see. Just has filler neck and an extra tube

http://i.imgur.com/A9onvqs.jpg

I think there were a few versions of EVAP/vent systems depending on the year and engine, I don't know specifically but if I were you I'd try to put the old vent system on the new tank.

Well, turns out the "vent valve" that was on top of the gas tank was stuck closed. We pressurized the tank and nothing was coming out of it. We ended up dropping the tank and just jb-welding the old one to fix the leak. :spin::spin:

ugh, what a waste of time and money. It's all good now though on the original tank.

Archived