LegacyGT.com

Crankshaft timing sprocket

I just replaced the timing belt on my 2.5i last night, cleaned everything up so I could later inspect for the source of a pesky oil leak, and took the car out of my dad's garage and parked on the street before heading home. Driving just those few feet, there was already a small puddle of oil under my car, quickly diagnosed as the front crankshaft seal, right at the front of the oil pump.

My problem is that the oil pump won't come off because the crankshaft sprocket is stuck on the shaft. It slides back and forth a little, but seems to be getting stuck on the key. Any advice for removing this gear? There's already two broken teeth, so I know it needs to be replaced, I don't care about saving it, I just want it gone!

IMG_2175.thumb.jpg.f0d1a798c597d2fe4f44f17cd0293e64.jpg

The key there looks a little damaged. I'd try either tapping it with something (maybe you can get it out of the way to where the gear will come off) or get a Dremel or something in there and shave the end down a little.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Yep your going to have to drive that key back under the gear. Try pushing the gear back first. Try a large socket and a hammer. Be careful of the radiator. May be put a piece of plywood in front of the back side of the radiator.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No electric dremel available, but light work from an air grinder got it down enough that we could use a pulley remover. Someone has to have been in here before, there's a mess of silicone and the crankshaft seal wasn't pressed into the oil pump correctly, so the crankshaft timing sprocket wore it down. Once we got that off and started working on the oil pump, the old seal just fell right out. And then on the back of the oil pump there were two loose screws. Some loctite and a good screwdriver fixed that. Now to clean everything up and put it all back together again.

IMG_2182-2.thumb.jpg.d1b5438c979b7208abc5cf8e5a05ab7b.jpg

Archived