LegacyGT.com

Heavy clutch and a metallic sound

I'm getting ready to take my LGT back to the dealer because it has metallic jingling sound when you push in the clutch. It's been there since the day I bought it (about a 1 1/2 ago) and the dealer agreed to repair it. I'm taking it back to the dealer next week for them to look at it. Any ideas on what it could be?

The car also has a really heavy clutch feel. It takes a lot to push the clutch pedal in. To the point my father can barely push it in. Is this normal? To me it just feels like a "Performance" clutch. But the more I think about it it's a stock car. It only has about 75K on it. Are they all like this? Or could the two be tied together?

Clutch feel is pretty subjective, I think the LGT clutch is heavy, but bearable. I am also coming from previously driving an 88 power ram 250 with granny 4 spd that clutch was just about unbearable.

The two are more than likely related, the throw out bearing is a known issue with subarus so there is that possibility or more fitting, likelihood.

Mine "jingled" when I bought it at 75k and my dealer denied fixing it after 1 week. Hence why I won't go back there. It's still making this sound a year later but I don't have any drive ability issues so it's staying until I have to pull the motor.

Check the clutch cylinder for fluid levels and inspect the clutch slave.

After that, you'll need to pull the trans off and inspect the clutch and TOB. We can guess all we want, but the truth would be told once it's off the car.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
I dropped offmy LGT Thursday night. I told them that the major problems were the starter grinding when I released the key after it started, heavy clutch pedal, and the metallic sound. Well I got the call from the dealer Friday. They pulled the starter out and the snout was busted up and the flywheel has summer teeth. Some are there and some are not. LOL So they are going to put a new Subaru clutch assy, flywheel, and starter on it.

I put the bug in their ear about the TSK-3 kit. Hr said he needed to go talk to his tech about it. I'm going to call him again when I get out of work.

You should have them show you what the snout looks like. Here are some pics for your reference.

This is a snot that has been cutoff by the TOB, If there just enough snot left, you can still use the TSK-3 kit and save yourself from buying a new trans.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/5094c5f8.jpg

Pic with the TSK-3 kit installed.

hqdefault.jpg

you spelled snout like dis...."snot". I fixored it. :lol: Just helping a Messican pass his English grammar and spelling test.

Your sentence read like this. They don't do the Chinese kleenex at that dealership.

"You should have them show you what the snot looks like." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

you spelled snout like dis...."snot". I fixored it. :lol: Just helping a Messican pass his English grammar and spelling test.

Your sentence read like this.

"You should have them show you what the snot looks like." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Well you should go back to reading class, because I spelled it wrong again in the 2nd sentence. :lol:

If it's reverse only, I'd guess against clutch/flywheel/TOB and probably go with something like a bearing or bushing on the reverse idler shaft. Probably not going to result in catastrophic failure, but it's definitely not a good thing.

Edit: could also be a parking brake shoe dragging or something caught in a brake caliper or something like that, doesn't have to be gloom-and-doom.

I got the call on Friday my car was ready to go. We picked it up on Saturday. The clutch pedal pressure is literally 10-20% of what it was before I took it in. I mean night and day difference. The first time I pushed it in I'm pretty sure I dented the floorboard. LOL

I talked to them about the sleeve. They more or a less told me that it was not a factory Subaru part so they were not allowed install one. Even if I would of paid for it. I by no means am complaining because I got a new Subaru clutch assy, flywheel, and starter out of the deal.

On a side note, I can't get the hang of the way this clutch engages. I've owned clutch cars and trucks all of my life. Normally within 10 minutes I would have it. I've stalled this things so many times. I guess it is the damping valve thing under the dash.

Every time I put a new clutch in it takes a few days to relearn the pressure feel. You're foot is used to the old worn out one, and needs some time to relearn.

Archived