Pick one you'd roll with!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one you'd roll with!

• Hankook Ventus V12 evo2
    • Michelin Pilot Super Sport

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that I loved my hankooks. Then I thought I loved my Conti DW. Now I know that I did not.

They are pretenders. Ives spent the last 7days on z2* and they are worth every single penny. The MPSS are going to be my next tire because of sizing availability (245/35/18) over the Dunlops.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Tires should NOT do that after only 2 years. I would check the date code on the tires, someone may have sold you an old set of tires.

My point exactly. Whether I got an old set or not, one was replaced, and two weeks later I replaced another do to my own fault of hitting a pothole. So the last two came at different times and same issue. My point is that in my opinion these tires are not a good tire at all. What seemed like a bargain at the time ended up costing more money from premature failure and could have cost my family and myself our lives. Spend the extra and get good tires. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

I would still check the tire manufacturing dates. I was quick to judge a set of tires and later found out I was sold a set of tires that was almost 3 years old, by the time I mounted them. I have read of other people getting suckered with 5-8 years old new tires and not realizing that tires are only good for 6-7 years.

I'm a little surprised to hear you say that. Obviously the re-71r is going to be a better performing tire (in terms of vehicle dynamics and grip), but that tire has a treadwear rating of 140, where the Michelin Pilot Supersport has a treadwear rating of 300. Honestly, I consider those two that you mentioned to be an autocross or track use only tire for that very reason.

I would expect the PSS to last significantly longer than either the re-71r or the direzzas. I hear you on the stones being the best performing tire, but it's gotta be expensive to keep replacing those if you are using them all the time on the street.

What whitetiger really means here, OP, is that you want two sets of summer tires, both the PSS for daily use and then another set of re-71rs on another wheel for motorsports use. ;)

re-71r has a tw of 200, same for the Z2 SS.

either should last 2 years on a non tracked car. the level of performance you get is worth it.

Im curious now, how is the top rated tire in its category on tirerack.com, the michelin pss, a compromise? The Hankook definitely, its ranked at 10, but still receives good ratings.

"In its category" is the compromise. there is a higher performing category. the extreme performance category has tires that well outgrip the PSS.

I would still check the tire manufacturing dates. I was quick to judge a set of tires and later found out I was sold a set of tires that was almost 3 years old, by the time I mounted them. I have read of other people getting suckered with 5-8 years old new tires and not realizing that tires are only good for 6-7 years.

At this point those tires are long gone. If tirerack is selling old tires, then shame on them. I'd doubt it though. Since those were high rated bargain tires, they probably sold a lot of them and at the time I believe the model wasn't old. Anything is possible, but in all my years I've never seen ANYTHING like that happen to tires.

"In its category" is the compromise. there is a higher performing category. the extreme performance category has tires that well outgrip the PSS.

Grip in dry weather is not the be all end all measure which makes a tire superior either. Neither tire you mentioned is ranked tops in its class on tirerack...so I suppose your post should have begun..."In my opinion"...

Oops. You're right whitetiger. I misremembered that re-71rs meet the new SCCA standard at 200 tw. Thx for clarifying.

Fyi ... it's not just whitetiger's opinion. The tirerack rating aside, the RE-71R is gonna be just about the best gripping tire short of an R-comp (which is definitely not appropriate for street use, DOT approved or not). Check the autocross forums. Those guys all love that tire! (And I have an as yet unused dedicated set for autox as well.) There may be something grippier at less that 200 tw, but if there is, I don't know it. What's anybody know about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2? Isn't that what they're fitting from the factory on Ferraris and high end Corvettes and such these days?

Grip in dry weather is not the be all end all measure which makes a tire superior either.

Its the one that matters most by far. OP is in SoCal, think he gets much snow or rain compared to warm dry days? either tire i listed will push the grip levels far beyond the driving skills of most that you can have the confidence to push hard and still be safe. perfect for a fast turbo car.

Neither tire you mentioned is ranked tops in its class on tirerack...so I suppose your post should have begun..."In my opinion"...

which class is that? because if its not extreme performance summer class, its meaningless. Should i have also mentioned the Rivals S, kumho v720, hankook rs3,etc... to make you happy? my opinion was just selecting 2 from that category which i thought gave some decent contrasts when it comes to minor issues like wear rate.

What's anybody know about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2? Isn't that what they're fitting from the factory on Ferraris and high end Corvettes and such from the factory these days?

the tire is ok, but its a namesake tire more than a pinnacle performer. like you said, they got them on high end exotics as part of a marketing campaign. same goes for the pirelli p-zeros of different guises.

Also, it used to be the go to tire for autox rain events, but those days are over. the lasted gen extreme performance tires like the re-71r will out pace the PSS in any condition. its just plain better in nearly every way except wear rate. but like i said, to me, grip is more important than wear rate, and 2 years on a non tracked daily driver is good longevity in my opinion for that kind of tire.

Its the one that matters most by far. OP is in SoCal, think he gets much snow or rain compared to warm dry days? either tire i listed will push the grip levels far beyond the driving skills of most that you can have the confidence to push hard and still be safe. perfect for a fast turbo car.

which class is that? because if its not extreme performance summer class, its meaningless. Should i have also mentioned the Rivals S, kumho v720, hankook rs3,etc... to make you happy? my opinion was just selecting 2 from that category which i thought gave some decent contrasts when it comes to minor issues like wear rate.

They are ranked 4 and 6 in extreme performance summer. You have a very narrow definition of best tire, for an average driver the grippiest tire available is not really the best tire for them. I take into account wet traction and wet braking, tread wear, then traction, and finally comfort and noise. In that order. So you have your subjective definition of best and I have mine. So yes, call me crazy but I want the best handling tire in the worst weather I will come across in my daily driving and then I can think about good weather performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4 & 6 by what metric. if its buy consumer rating, you are doing it wrong.

you characterize these tires as if they are horrible in the wet, when they are not.

this is the most recent TR performance test. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=202

RE-71R is the fastest, grippyist tire out there in the class, period. they rank the rivals S higher because its more compliant and quiet. and though its not part of the test, the Z2ss is faster than the RS-3v2.

4 & 6 by what metric. if its buy consumer rating, you are doing it wrong.

you characterize these tires as if they are horrible in the wet, when they are not.

this is the most recent TR performance test. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=202

RE-71R is the fastest, grippyist tire out there in the class, period. they rank the rivals S higher because its more compliant and quiet. and though its not part of the test, the Z2ss is faster than the RS-3v2.

And again that is in your personal definition of best...Idk how tire rack does there ratings but I am most interested in what end users, who drive similar vehicles and in a similar fashion to me, think about my non-track oriented tire as opposed to dry grip and handling only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

^most people who write those reviews and ratings have no clue about tires or cars in general. take them with a grain of salt...a 10lb grain.

i often see reviews where some schmuck who bought a tire like this and he gives it a poor rating cause its noisier than his old all season tire.

And again that is in your personal definition of best...

PREACH!! I love my bridgestone RE970AS's. yea that's right all seasons, whats my summer tire you ask? those are my summer tires, say somethin bout it

re-71r has a tw of 200, same for the Z2 SS.

either should last 2 years on a non tracked car. the level of performance you get is worth it.

lol, knew this thread might turn into a tire debate. RE-71R looks good bro, but the reviews all say it's not the best in regards to comfort/noise. 90% of what I do is commute, I want the performance but not at the cost of too much comfort/noises. I guess that's why I'm driving a Legacy in the first place. Btw, the Hankook evo2 only lasted one year for me, and it had the tread wear of 300, so with RE-71's 200 rating and the cost of +$55 per tire is not a good decision for my needs. I appreciate the recommendation thou, if I decide to track the car more, I'll probably have separate wheels for that.

I always check tire manufacture date before letting a shop put the tires on. If it's more than 6mo (20wks), I would make them replace it lol. When a tire is older than 5 years, it tends to crack naturally. It's actually illegal to have tires that old in the UK.

I can give you a first thoughts on the DSW 06 tomorrow, so far I am pleasantly surprised they look rather large sitting on my front stoop. And feel very solid, trying to decide where to get them put on.

Selling pts: for me anyway- top rated in its category, 560 tread wear, AA A traction, excellent in wet weather according to reviews both professional and amateur, and a decent price.

I can give you a first thoughts on the DSW 06 tomorrow, so far I am pleasantly surprised they look rather large sitting on my front stoop. And feel very solid, trying to decide where to get them put on.

Selling pts: for me anyway- top rated in its category, 560 tread wear, AA A traction, excellent in wet weather according to reviews both professional and amateur, and a decent price.

Isn't DSW all seasons?

Archived