LegacyGT.com

Lower Heat Shield for Up Pipe

I'm about halfway through my up pipe install, and sort of hit a wall at the bolts for the lower heat shield (below the up pipe). The bolts are rusted to hell and I cannot get them to budge. I sprayed them down with PB blaster and I am waiting it out for a bit.

However, if it comes down to it and I need to cut it out is there any downside to this? Would it be wise to wrap the manifold/header with some insulation wrap?

Thanks everyone.

i had my heatshield cut for some time. even got dyno tuned like that.

if i were you id get a ceramic coated uppipe with a flex joint and be done.

currently i have a grimmspeed coated pipe after my stocker cracked and split in the flex joint seams. yes, the ceramic is much better than a stock missing a heatshield. it is noticeably more cooler when i open the hood now. if i had to go back in time i would have installed a coated pipe from the beginning.

Yep you don't really need those heat shields.

I DEI heat wrapped mine a couple years back, but noticed the other oil change that that's coming loose...no biggy.

BTW I removed the big heat shield over the propeller shaft 4 or 5 years ago. The only stock heat shield left on is the under the drivers side head.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I DEI heat wrapped mine a couple years back, but noticed the other oil change that that's coming loose...no biggy.

Hacked the heat shield off, got the manifold off and I am in business. Stopped work for today but the up pipe is out. Also I have some heat wrap coming tomorrow and a turbo blanket. Just glad to have it out, seems like smooth sailing to get it back in. Fingers crossed.

Are you removing the banjo filter from the back of the passenger side head while you can get to it ?

Also replace the oil return hose from the turbo. Before it cracks and leaks.

I also bolt the turbo to the up pipe, much easier to line things up later on.

Also leave the turbo loose on the up pipe until the tmic is clamped onto the throttle body.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

that is waaaaaay more than what i thought you were saying. i was under the impression you meant the heatshield on the upipe and you were calling a section of it "lower".

afaik only the heatshield on my uppipe was cut. not the underside etc.

Understandable misunderstanding.

So yea, the heatshield that surrounds the lower manifold, where it connects to the crosspipe. At any rate, I have hacked it out and wrapped the manifold so oh well. That braided ground wire disintegrated but I don't know if I am going to do anything about it, seems pointless. Pretty much waiting on two gaskets to come in and I'll be done with this fiasco :)

Also replace the oil return hose from the turbo. Before it cracks and leaks.

I reached up under the turbo and felt the return hose, and I can feel a slight amount of splitting...I also felt the two shitty clamps. I haven't received the new hose in the mail yet but I assume it's pliable in some shape and you can manipulate it over the two metal nipples?

Got everything put back together, had no plans on getting it done tonight but once I started I didn't want to stop. On my first test drive it sounded like shit. clearly a leak somewhere.

Sure enough, my retarded self only had a single nut holding the manifold to the head. Forgot to put the other two on there, got a little hasty I guess. After tightening those up it was all good. Felt a little better on the top end and it just felt smoother, but probably just all in my head.

Either way, anyone stumbling on this thread in the future:

-Tighten all the nuts, and check.

-Used copper gasket seal.

-Cut off heat shield around the lower manifold and wrapped all of the piping with heat wrap.

-Got rid of the old turbo heat shield and went with a turbo blanket instead.

-used a resistor and I have no CELs

Archived