LegacyGT.com

Under Engine Cover Damage After Bottoming Out

Our lake house is off a very poorly maintained and partially dirt road, so I've totally bottomed out in some of the ruts.

I have noticed the plastic covering the engine has cracked and is hanging down, specifically what looks to be a separate part of plastic with some fabric lining in it.

It's kind of hard to see, but the main splash shield is intact but the secondary piece attached with fabric on it is whats hanging down. What part should I order to replace this, or should I just remove it?

The only damage I see to the underside metal is that bit of rust you see in the picture from scraping the paint off of it, but I don't think anything like the exhaust manifold has been damaged.

IMG_1224.thumb.jpg.b794b57eed21caa35f49f9581f5d2046.jpg

Well since you might bottom out again you might as well upgrade to this:

http://get-primitive.com/protection-skidplates/114-front-skid-plate-.html

That'll add some protection as well. Or you could replace it with another OEM piece, but that might be more expensive. Or you could do nothing.

I wouldn't remove it. The car will certainly run without that plastic piece, but I understand that it is designed to control airflow and that might mean that your radiator would be less efficient without it. So I guess it depends on how concerned you are with that.

I think you would be better with the primitive skid plate/cover, especially since you will be encountering the rough road over and over again.

For the people that had a 1-time incident with road debris/animal in the road, it's a different situation.

It sounds like you will be dealing with this again, so I would go with the primitive plate.

let us know what you decide!

i recommend the primitive plate i went through 2 of the under trays in less than 2 years... and i bought them from subaru for over $100 like a fool. I got the 1/8" plate and it is plenty strong for normal duty and at $199 it was a no brainer

3/16" is over kill IMO. the 1/8" is more than strong enough short of you launching your car onto a rock rally style. that's why it's "rally spec", that said its only $40 more so its not like it'll kill your wallet to go 3/16" i just didn't want to have to deal with trying to take the heavier plate on and off for oil changes

Archived