LegacyGT.com

Rim cleaning options

So now that I have my wheels on that I bought used, I want to clean them up good. What are my options for making this easy and not damaging them. They are avant garde with bespoke level three finish. So machined front and polished windows. It look like they are possibly clearcoated though. So if they are, I probably don't want to use an aluminium polish. Correct? Also, has anyone ever used them power ball deals that go in a drill? Do they work good?

I would avoid any abrasive including the powerball, there are plenty of good quality soaps that will work for you without damaging the wheel. I am sure the detailing part of the forum has plenty of information to sort through. Check out ammonyc on youtube lots of good info.

I would avoid any abrasive including the powerball, there are plenty of good quality soaps that will work for you without damaging the wheel. I am sure the detailing part of the forum has plenty of information to sort through. Check out ammonyc on youtube lots of good info.

I didn't want anything real abrasive. I've had polished aluminum that HAD to be polished to stay shiny or they would get real hazy and brake dust would stick to them. These however are starting to look a little hazy, but I think they have a clearcoat on them. So would I use something like a car paint polish to take the haze off? Are the powerball attachments abrasive? I just figured they would work for a good mechanical buff instead of by hand.

Very unlikely that these are bare aluminum. If they were you'd probably know it by looking at the finish on them. That being said, get some color changing wheel cleaner that contains chemicals that break down iron. Here are a few options:

Sonax Full Effect

Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus (stronger than Full Effect)

Adam's New Wheel Cleaner (new, blue formula - formerly Deep Wheel Cleaner)

Personally I've had the best results with Adam's in the past. I have not used their new formula yet but it's supposed to be a thicker gel which will cling to the wheel surface more. I do think Adam's has a more pleasant smell than the Sonax products.

Any wheel that has a clear coat should be relatively easy to clean. My summer wheels are a matte gray color and they are a bitch to keep clean. Brake dust sticks to them like no other.

I'll be looking into that stuff, thanks. I was just wandering as well if once I get them clean, is there a way to polish the clearcoat. I figured it's not much different than a cars clearcoat, so it's getting scratched and hazy from existing and previous brake dust. That's why I thought a polish and powerball might remedey that. Gonna try one of those products first though to remove all the contamination.

I just use a wash mitt that I only use for wheels and regular Meguiar's wash n wax soap. Sometimes I'll use their wheel cleaner if they are really dirty and spray as much off as I can with a high pressure nozzle.

Very unlikely that these are bare aluminum. If they were you'd probably know it by looking at the finish on them. That being said, get some color changing wheel cleaner that contains chemicals that break down iron. Here are a few options:

Sonax Full Effect

Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus (stronger than Full Effect)

Adam's New Wheel Cleaner (new, blue formula - formerly Deep Wheel Cleaner)

Personally I've had the best results with Adam's in the past. I have not used their new formula yet but it's supposed to be a thicker gel which will cling to the wheel surface more. I do think Adam's has a more pleasant smell than the Sonax products.

Any wheel that has a clear coat should be relatively easy to clean. My summer wheels are a matte gray color and they are a bitch to keep clean. Brake dust sticks to them like no other.

...Sonax is quality stuff. I've had very good results w/Full Effect, but I want to try the the Plus version. Another option is good would be the Einszett or P21S wheel cleaners. In regards to Adam's, I've heard nothing but good things about their products.

Archived