LegacyGT.com

Merged: Official "Toyota to buy GM shares of FHI" Thread

D-2.5-GT

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read one article that makes it sound that way, read another one that said quote un quote that FHI ended the partnership.. Of course GM and American publications are going to spin it their way.. I honestly think it was FHI.. either way, it was a good move and I'm glad for it.

I actually think they'll go w/ 2. Toyota only has a ~10% stake after the sale of the leftover stocks. They will actually be looking to codevelop the next generation of hybrids. Subaru will use Toyota's hybrid technology,and Toyota will use Subaru's new Lithium batteries IN the hybrid technology. I'm sure the companies will stay far apart w/ everything else. This will definately boost the value of Subaru, w/ stockholders knowing that Subaru is Toyota-backed now, at least a little bit. Def. better than being backed by a sinking ship, that's for sure. This will pan out to be pretty interesting I must say...

This would make sense. Toyota is the Hybrid leader and the batteries are the bottleneck.

I don't know, but I would definitely prefer to have Toyota rather than GM influencing FHI.

i'm not so sure thats a good idea cuz toyota honchos tend to go conservative in terms of styling which means that future subaru products could be very bland

plus toyota recently cancelled the Matrix and celica ofr next year ...those were the only 2 sporty offerings they had in the first place...instead they shud have gone back to toyota rally days and slapped the celica with an awd and a turbo...now the sportiest thing u can get from toyota is the ...um corolla???!!!!

Toyota will own what? 8% of FHI's stock..

It's not a 50/50 merger.. I don't think Toyota is going to have much say in Subarus market direction and vice versa, and even less say over model offerings.

I take this as a partnership to help Subaru develop their alternative fules solutions, as well as market their battery technology. Both are priority items for Subarus R$D teams right now. At the very least this partenrship sounds like a two way road, where as GM was all one way, and on a dead end at that.

So I am guessing the 92x is permanently dead then too?

According to the article: "GM will continue work with Fuji on one production vehicle, the Saab 9-2x, GM said. But other projects will end, including the joint development of a crossover vehicle, announced last year."

I guess the "Saabaru" lives for now, at least.

Toyota will own what? 8% of FHI's stock..

It's not a 50/50 merger.. I don't think Toyota is going to have much say in Subarus market direction and vice versa, and even less say over model offerings.

I take this as a partnership to help Subaru develop their alternative fules solutions, as well as market their battery technology. Both are priority items for Subarus R$D teams right now. At the very least this partenrship sounds like a two way road, where as GM was all one way, and on a dead end at that.

Thats exactly what 9% will do. Hybrid is in high demand these days and from now on so every manufactuer is scrambeling to get 'er done. I know that Toyota has lock on Hybrid Tech.

"Mother told me, yes she told me I'd meet girls like you. She also told me stay away, you'll never know what you might catch." Surrender, Cheap Trick.

I am glad that for whatever reason FHI is no longer associated w/GM. Subarus are wonderful cars, of far higher quality in both engineering and construction than anything I've seen from GM.

Didn't want my beloved Subaru tainted by its association.

i'm not so sure thats a good idea cuz toyota honchos tend to go conservative in terms of styling which means that future subaru products could be very bland

Yeah. I hope the next Legacy doesn't end up looking like a Camry or something.

" All joint projects -- including global procurement, technology exchanges and development of a crossover vehicle between Subaru and GM's Saab brand -- will be terminated except for Subaru's supply of the Saab 9-2x model, they said."

This Space For Rent

I, for one, am incredibly happy about this new direction (as a big Toyota fan), but one thing that always chapped my hides was people seemed to think the GM/FHI deal was bad.

It was nothing but good for Subaru. It brought Subaru money (from the Chevy Forester, Saab 9-2x, Subaru Justy), cheap parts that were still well made (not made by GM ;)), and penetration into markets they would otherwise be closed from. Subaru benefited 100% from the GM deal, but GM didn't fare as well, which is why they are selling off the stock at half the market value to Toyota.

It was a business deal, not a technology deal, and in the world of business, Subaru came out on top of the GM/FHI deal.

Archived