LegacyGT.com

gates timing belt guide clearance

so im in the process of rebuilding my 2005 5 speed lgt motor. its been completely rebuilt from the ground up. I have a new oem water pump on it and I installed the black gates timing belt kit. when installing the oem new crank guide over the belt I cant use the gates spacer tool to set the clearance. if I put the guide on with giving the most clearance the guide it pretty much hitting the belt. I took my old guide and tried drilling the holes bigger to allow for more adjustment but still wont fit and the holes are as big as they can go. any ideas on a different brand timing belt guide that will fit the gates black timing belt kit?

image1.thumb.jpg.864bac9dea47a764d6c8f5064f5d276c.jpg

image2.thumb.jpg.38f55aefee606967668c8b88296349de.jpg

image3.thumb.jpg.ef12f814080bcd502098ad1813162971.jpg

I have the same car, my guide fit perfectly. Do you have your old timing belt? Try measuring the thickness of the belt and compare. I know they wear and such, but it's at least more info to work with. I'll try to measure my gates in the coming days. It still has about 55 total miles on it.

This is a mystery, why would the belt be hitting the guide. I read this the other day and can't think of what could be wrong, other then that one belt is thicker.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I took apart my old motor I used the timing belt to take the cam sprockets off and pretty much destroyed it and threw it out. Last night when I was taking a close look at it the gates spacer tool is at the top for the tolerance that Subaru calls for. Subaru manual wants between .019-.059 the gates space appears to be around the .059 after hours of messing around with it and not using the gates spacing tool I was able to get about .035 of clearance between the belt and the guide. this is according to my feeler gauge. when I tried using my original guide I had the problem of it not fitting with the gates tool. that was 2 or 3 weeks ago. I thought maybe heat caused some issues so I ordered a new oem one. and then when I had the same issue with that I was puzzled. I hate to just keep ordering new guides to see if they work just to use the gates spacer tool. I tried to measure the gates space thickness but its to difficult to get a precise measurement. davidinseattle when you say gates racing belt you mean the blue one right?

When I installed my Dayco belt back in 2008 or 2009 I seem to recall that .020 gap with my feeler gauges on the top corners of the heads, I don't think I ever checked at the crank gear.

Only the 5mt cars have those guides on the heads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

yea I think I should be fine. its just such a crucial thing. too close and the belt will rub and too far which I know im not and the belt could jump teeth.

Rub and then heat the belt making it grow larger and rub more until it breaks...

Good to know you know what your doing.

Frustrating when you think you buy the good stuff and it doesn't work...

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
Where can I get a timing belt spacer? (07 OBXT)

If you have any subaru part that comes in those thin white card board boxes (like a new thermostat if you bought one), you can use that folded over to double thickness I think.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Where can I get a timing belt spacer? (07 OBXT)

You can easily make one. Use a thin cardboard box such as auto parts like air filters come in. Cut a small rectangular section out of it, fold it over to make a double thickness. You can measure with a caliper just to verify the thickness.

Your cardboard piece is flexible enough to bend around the timing sprocket and you can adjust the timing belt guide gap using this. Then just toss the spacer when you're done with the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived