LegacyGT.com

new motor 800 miles later gotta rebuild

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well got the oil pump installed and timing belt done and all closed up. Tomorrow gonna carry this beast up from my basement and do the rest in the garage. The oil cooler and access port and the btssm should be here by the end of the week, then next week the e85 tune from delicious tuning to get started on my flex fuel tune once the motor is broke in!! I expect to be up and running by next weekend!!! Wooooohoooo....7,124 dollars later.

20160808_215442.thumb.jpg.3235796291f6d9440a4df53f9ef20099.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well it's running! But....it won't idle it will stay running if I give it gas a little bit but if I slowly bring it down below 1000 rpm it dies. So hopefully that's a tuning issue. Afr drops to 10 at that point also. There is is a slight tapping coming from the passenger side head...I'm thinking a valve lash clearance may have need to loose?

That's normal.

The ECU needs to learn the new setup and adjust. In my experience, it takes about 10 minutes running and nursing the idle to get it to hold. From then on it will manage on its own. If it takes much longer, then there could be a problem.

And of course, the valve noise needs to be chased down. Overall, sounds promising.

Just reviewed the first page of this thread. You had a ton of mods on there. If there are back on the motor, then this is far from stock so who knows what's up. I was thinking stock or close to stock where an ECU reset always causes a temporary idle issue.

Curious what the internal noise turns out to be.

Is the tapping noise closer to a clicking, or a muffled thud?

Is it constant or sporadic?

Does it happen at any RPM, or just below 1000?

Does the noise speed up and slow down with the motor's RPM?

My knee-jerk reaction is that you may have a vacuum leak causing a misfire. You had the entire motor apart and it's easy to overlook a tiny vacuum hose somewhere. Or it could be misfiring because your MAF table is off (for your new setup) enough that the computer is struggling to find the correct AF ratio.

Whatever the problem is, I bet you'll figure it out after you get your AP/BtSsm hooked up.

BTW... why did you get an AP and BtSsm?

Hey everyone! I wanna say thank you all for your help and advice through this motor build!!

It is idling now just like birkhoff said. I got a new revised map from delicious tuning to try as soon as I get back home. It's not really a ticking...it's hard to explain I listened to it with a stethoscope it's more like as if there is to much clearance on a cam bucket it does speed up as rpm goes up. I will keep you all posted later after the test drive. I am going up north it's gonna be about 600 mile round trip. It's gonna be some highway and some street I'll vary it all up. I'm gonna bring my oil change stuff to do a change at around 300 miles

To log my wideband afr since I thought the Cobb ap does not have the ability?

If you wire the WBO2 through a TGV sensor I'm pretty sure the AP can log that signal, then from your log you can convert the data in excel. That's a pretty involved route to take if you still have TGVs.

Both units plug into the OBDII port so if you want to use both at the same time you'll need some kind of Y splitter, which may or may not work. I haven't read of anyone using an AP and running BtSsm at the same time.

Good luck on your trip!

Archived