LegacyGT.com

new motor 800 miles later gotta rebuild

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah so I wonder if the leaking headgasket had any added cause to the failure of the ringlands. Are sti pistons usually coated? These where coated black on the skirts. How can I check my turbo to know for sure it wasn't coming from that? I mean it was a brand new turbo when I put it on...I'm just trying to rule out all the possibiltiies . I've got the block in the shop getting machined cleaned tested and the heads pressure tested so I don't want to leave anything out ya know.

Have never seen the rust on the up pipe flange but then again mine is always black carbon coated.

I'm thinking it must have been a HG.

If you have time send the turbo to JmP6889928 and have it checked out, might be worth the $50 or so bucks if that just to be sure. PM him and talk with him.

He's in MI. I sent him a turbo the other day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A crack in the turbo bearing housing? There are no seals keeping water and oil separated inside the turbo. It would have to be a crack in the casting. Never heard of this, but I suppose you could check by pressurizing the water side through the turbo hard lines and seeing if it holds.

I will figure out a way to pressurize the turbo like Birkhoff said. I've got a pressure gauge I just gotta figure out a way to hook it up. blocking one side is the easy part, but the fill side....hmmm. e85 does have a lot of condensation and the last time I started it was for maybe 2 min to drive it up the driveway and into the garage so maybe it's that too. Alot of damn maybe's lol I'll get into it tomorrow and let you folks know.

Well I just had to get out of bed and try it! I would have been thinking about it all day at work. So I got my morosso pressure tester hooked up an airline at one end and plugged the tester in the other end, I had no leak at 60 psi. So I know that it's not the turbo! So it was just the HG. It's just crazy that I blew a head gasket and broke ringlands at the same time!! Took a video but I'm having trouble uploading it.

• 1 month later...

OK so finally after the motor sitting at the machine shop for 5 weeks they finally got to it. It's getting bored for 99.75 pistons and sending the heads to get ported as well. Should have it back next week. I'm hoping to have it running by the 4th.

What's your opinions on the break in process? Just drive normally without wide open throttle until say 1000 to 1500 miles. Oil change at 400 miles using motul break in engine oil?

Most of us change oil and filter after the first 15 minutes at high idle.

Then drive it on the back roads for the first 500 miles never letting the engine stay at the same rpm very long, the engine needs internal pressure changes to seat the rings. on the highway in CC is not the thing to do. As I got a 100 miles or so then began to give it light boost going down hills.

I changed the oil at 500 miles and then did the street tune to make sure the MAP was still good. Then another oil change at 1500 miles, then at 2500 miles went to synthetic oil.

Just to verify, are you installing ARP head studs ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Lol that damn aos was almost one of the most expensive single items of my build.check out rrev sports if your looking for parts I got the je pistons with wrist pins and rings for 478$!!! Cheapest price I could find anywhere by at least 75$

• 4 weeks later...
Alright so my motor is now just about done. Internals are je pistons,King bearings,carillo rods,ported and polished heads and stock cams. Everything has gone well with the build but I think I'm gonna take the rocker cover back off tonight. I applied 3 bond to the inside of the gasket groove and a little bit on the head where it seals all the way around but I don't feel like I covered the half moons well enough On The passenger side.

20160725_213043.thumb.jpg.0ecfabddcf1b0eba34d299c4e0273756.jpg

20160725_213034.thumb.jpg.e6a1eee9c843ab62024f4b14d1e3ba54.jpg

Do you have any pics of the ported/polished heads?

No I don't. I should have though.

Pictures....or it didn't happen...;)

See my click here link, I think my port job is in there somewhere. Most of my work was done down in the valve pocket and not at the opening. You'll see where my dividers are thinned too.

Archived