LegacyGT.com

Forgestar F14 track day failure....

GTEASER

Yes of course. But did you notice how the Honda in the first post did not hit a wall or roll over or similar? The amount of abuse a wheel can take depends on construction and materials, which is why big brand names forged wheels are expensive. They will have to be replaced eventually as they all degrade.

But what would you rather have holding your tyres and subsequently keeping your car on the road on a highway and you hit a branch/pothole/whatever? Something that'll take the hit or something that'll break?

Yes of course. But did you notice how the Honda in the first post did not hit a wall or roll over or similar?

Not challenging you, but you don't know that. That day, no the wheel gave out. What happened every track day before that is an unanswered question.

If you do enough track days, at some point you will find yourself in the dirt. There's a good chance you'll eventually drive over some of the warning curbs as well. A new set of good wheels should take some time before it become an issue, but at some point, it will be an issue. Wheels and studs cycle out. When they're toast, they usually fail dramatically.

I have an R32 GT-R which old arse Nismo LMGT1 wheels (1996 build, 3-piece I believe). I've done a few track days with it, regularly hitting ripple strips and even managing to get my rear muffler to come off. The original white paint/coating has the 'cracked' effect but the wheels themselves are fine. I bought them second hand, so who knows what it's been through.

Point is, the spokes haven't sheared off and they're 20 years old.

Watch the video, the wheel has a sustained load (right turn bend). He didn't hit a wall when it sheared. I'm not sure why you're repeating your point because I already agree with you! Lol.

Another story, on my first shitbox I had some cheap second hand "JDM yo" cast wheels (they're look like 11-spoke BuddyClub P1s, got them from YAJ) from who knows when (probably mid-90's). Picked up a buckle from the shitty Sydney roads (running 215/45/17 tyres), which luckily balanced out. But hey, no cracks on the spokes though!

Speaking of busted wheels and imminent doom, I parked next to this unfortunate FR-S...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230331&stc=1&d=1463323093

A-OK to drive on, right?? :lol::spin:

Can't imagine the bead would hold on for long, if you loaded up or rolled over that sidewall. That's gonna be fun!

20160515_143201.thumb.jpg.3425f2e862655298cb27bc7388e93ba6.jpg

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived