LegacyGT.com

VF40 rebuild, engine refresh, more time than money...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be plugging in my Tactrix and clearing the TGV codes tomorrow. Hoping the $40 vacuum line comes, but I'm not counting on it...

Having trouble getting RomRaider software to start up. I've used it all before, but now I get the intro screen then nothing. Tried with and without the Tactrix plugged in, using the same laptop. Guess I'll un then reinstall and see if that works.

I didn't hear any knocking as the car started, just some squealing of the old accessory belts. Although it obviously took some time to pressurize the fuel system, may have leaned it out. In hindsight I should have let the fuel system pressurize a little longer, just anxious I guess.

Oh yeah, drove it around the neighborhood a few miles. Hard to believe it's only pushing 8 psi. Blinking cruise light, check engine light and all. It went all the way to redline.

Well, 3am and I've tried everything I can think of to get this working (Java versions, ECU defs, you name it). This will have to wait until tomorrow. The RomRaider instructions are a mess, anybody have a plain english install guide for this? I've had it working in the past.

I heard the knocking in the first few rev's.

Yes, turn the key to On for ten seconds. When I started my ej257 for the first time, I had the key a few times doing checks. Then when the time came, I turned the key to on, let the gauges sweep, and it fired up like it does everyday.

If you're still having trouble with RR contact Mike Kinsman at http://www.tuningalliance.com

He can help you out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Okay guys, need a little advice on how the factory WG solenoid is routed. I have the $40 part from subaru with the pill. The pill end goes to the compressor housing, the other end goes to the WG. The tee without a hose connects to ? the WG control solenoid? It's a tiny barb and my hose and going to the solenoid, as well as the port on the solenoid, is quite a bit bigger.

Okay, located the diagram for this but still have questions.

On the WG solenoid which port goes to where? The "top", shorter port and the "bottom" slightly longer port. I have to assume one goes to the turbo inlet, the other hooks to the tiny tee barb. Is this correct?

1520697371_05LGTTurboRouting.png.d9f7276f883101aa023e8461a352ae17.png

From the front of the car, the pill is on the left side of the T the right side goes to the (9) the center of the T goes to the(10).

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
Alright, hooked up the factory WG solenoid just as the diagram shows, disabled all the TGV checks in EcuFlash and she runs better than ever. Idle is very smooth. When I bought the car it had a miss at idle, this is gone now. At full throttle there's no bucking anymore. I did get an error trying to use Learning View, so I couldn't reset the ECU after the little bit of driving I did in limp mode. I'm sure once I reset it and drive it for a few days it will "learn" and pull harder.

My new path forward is to sell the Legacy in preparation of another move I'm about to make. She runs great now, everything works as it should, no check engine light (cleared the TGV codes), purrs like a kitten. The guy who transported the car across the country loved the boxer rumble, so I had to explain the whole UEL Header thing to him.

The only issue at this point is the power steering seems to not be working. I disassembled the PS pump and replaced all the seals. Not sure if you're supposed to prime it or something else, but at most it will need a new PS pump ($100 junkyard part + 1 hour labor).

I'll update my for sale thread and make a new one that's identical, minus the language about it not running (or edit the original and price, not sure on the site policy). Anyone who has contacted me about purchasing the car will get a PM back first to see if you're still interested. Will be including the wheels (19x8.5 Niche set of 5 w/ new tires), set of 5 factory 5-spokes with good evenly 60% worn tires, new brake discs/pads, stainless brake lines, and one rear wheel bearing (only one needed replacement, I bought two).

Thanks for following the thread, now you all know what involved when you want to replace all those deteriorating rubber PCV and vacuum lines, delete TGVs, rebuild the turbo, and whatever else I did that I can't remember at the moment. (i.e. - don't do it unless you have ample free time). Overall I'm glad I did it, clarified alot of things I wasn't sure about, albeit at an inopportune time. :woowoo:

Here's a link to the new for sale thread.

Archived