LegacyGT.com

VF40 rebuild, engine refresh, more time than money...

Assembled and bolted on turbo, DP, exhaust. I've settled on how my emissions and pcv system will be and started on that. Only thing left is a few vacuum and coolant lines, the turbo inlet, intercooler, pop in fuel injectors, etc. Should be able to fire this thing up tomorrow at least, albeit untuned.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/3d31f7eff3e5deff2085eb8f84a970b4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/5816bc6c3986717d736ec4ee79c743ad.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/900ac3fe8fe2b572b057e1858f6a110b.jpg

Also added these to the list in about a week when I get back. Rebuild calipers including sandblasting, black paint, seals, new e-brake hardware, etc.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/0e853326a23a019d36fbceee0e16c1b9.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Finally back on it. Divorce is a bitch, especially when the ex hits you with trumped up charges. All that has been thrown out.

Today, after replacing an axle and taillight on my Tribeca, I got a few things done:

Installed fuel injectors

PCV work, vacuum lines, coolant lines.

The rest of the day was spent on other obligations. I have one request/question:

Does anyone know where I can find a restrictor pill so I don't have to use my EBCS and get retuned?

The dealer can get one.

If you know the ID of the pill, you can cut up a wire splice and use the metal crimp as a pill. Or drill out the hole to open it up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Let's say I just go with the EBCS, could I limp it to a tuner/dyno driving like a grandma? Also I'll need the TGV codes cleared, I'm assuming a good tuner can do this too.

I've also got a Tactrix and associated software I used for the Etune. How easy to clear the TGV codes? Any references on this anyone knows of? Maybe then I could get it to the tuner.

Again, I would just have Cryotune do another tune, but I'm on a time crunch.

Not sure Dave is still doing etunes.

I use http://www.tuningalliance.com contact Mike from the website or send him a PM from his vendor forum here and ask for his advice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

e

Let's say I just go with the EBCS, could I limp it to a tuner/dyno driving like a grandma? Also I'll need the TGV codes cleared, I'm assuming a good tuner can do this too.

I've also got a Tactrix and associated software I used for the Etune. How easy to clear the TGV codes? Any references on this anyone knows of? Maybe then I could get it to the tuner.

Again, I would just have Cryotune do another tune, but I'm on a time crunch.

Attach the wastegate nipple to the turbo. It will limit the car to wg pressure, around 8psi.

Finally back on it. Divorce is a bitch, especially when the ex hits you with trumped up charges. All that has been thrown out.

Today, after replacing an axle and taillight on my Tribeca, I got a few things done:

Installed fuel injectors

PCV work, vacuum lines, coolant lines.

The rest of the day was spent on other obligations. I have one request/question:

Does anyone know where I can find a restrictor pill so I don't have to use my EBCS and get retuned?

Pill sizes, check post # 151, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p4.html

Going to have to admit defeat here. Due to time/circumstance restraints I'm going to be forced to sell or part this car out. My home is going up for sale this coming week and I need the car gone. Anyone who's followed this thread knows what's been done to the car and where it's at.

I'll place a proper for sale thread up and link to it here. Will also have a ton of new and used parts for sale. I really hate to do this but the car has been rearranged on my priority list.

Went ahead and buttoned everything up now that things have settled around the house. All that's left is install battery, WG control solenoid, plug an inlet port and one bolt (long alternator adjustment bolt)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160717/e14d6dd7bac37ce5089922abf5613565.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Scratch that "plug an inlet port", looks like I'll be using the last port for the stock WG solenoid.

Next question, how to get rid of check engine codes related to the TGV delete? I've got a Tactrix and the associated software, just no experience deleting CE codes. Can anyone point me in the general direction of how to do this?

Also need to change the oil before I start this sucker up. I'm thinking change oil and leave old filter, run the car for a few miles, then install new filter so I keep everything clean.

Ah, thanks whitrzac. Some googling told me the same thing, should have done that before asking. Oil changed, coolant added, and battery installed. Now I wait on a $40 section of vacuum hose/tee/pill from the dealer... That, the WG solenoid and the alternator bolt is all that's left (will reinstall the 19's, brake rebuild, rear wheel bearing at next place).

As for the map, I had a Cryotune St2 Etune that I should be able to use. I'll just download the existing map, get rid of the TGV codes, and flash the ECU. I'll update once the part gets here and I get it going. Glad I didn't get rid of this thing a week or two ago.

The care is 99.99% finished and ready to go. I ordered the restrictor pill from SAN ANTONIO Subaru dealer, expecting someothing would show up. Instead after ordering the part on the July 17, it's still not hear on July 24th.

Order Details:

Capture.PNG.d14b62d85961dbd41f67e544f6c92f15.PNG

Google Maps showing it's only only a slightly over 3 hour drive.

Capture2.PNG.c75d4c6333177126257c02bede17fdf5.PNG

WTF?!? I'm fuming at this point. I'm going through a divorce, moving from TX to SC, getting constant shit from the ex, and then this. Does anyone know someone at that dealer to raise hell on?!?

Calm down, it's Sunday, If you know the size of the orifice in the pill anything with that size whole will work.

Wire splices are a good place to start looking.

Next issue. Everything is done (aside frome the part I'm waiting on from San Antonio, on the phone with them). Charged the batter, turn the key and everything lights up, but then try to crank the engine and nothing, nada. I get the ER HC code on the odometer. Bad ground? Bad battery? Never seen this one before.

I had a good bettery charger hooked up, charged to close to 100%, then when I turn the key it drops to 50%. Make me think bad battery or bad ground. I mean, the car sat for 3 months, battery in the garage on the plastic base so no concrete neutralizing the acid issues. Water evaporated in battery? I'm at a loss, never seen this before

Any suggestions?

There are no smoking wires....?

Make sure the ground and the starter wires are tight and clean.

Could be a battery, most auto parts will test it for free.

Okay, these two brackets were left over after re-assembly. I forget what the one on the right is, appears to be a mounting bracket. The one of the left, I've gathered through searching, attaches to the driver side TGV area and has two grounds attached to it. I do recall seeing two ground wires in the vicinity that I don't think I could find a place to attach.

Could this be the ER HC problem I'm getting?

Capture.PNG.faf71c0b853b96f3809f42c1dcf371c9.PNG

Update: VICTORY!!!

The bracket on the left bolts to the rear of the driver side TGV block. Two pretty significant ground wires then attach to these leftover threaded holes on the bracket. Tip: put the bracket on before installing the rest of the engine, it's a beast to get to.

Some links to a couple of youtube links :)

Here's some pics of the bracket installed:

1674092508_Topviewofbracket.PNG.9a3203a15c47ca3208a8b0b36686868b.PNG

1537897301_RearviewofbracketboltedtodriverssideTGVblock.thumb.PNG.26b2dce5b02d8a3c7f39a18f0b0efc9a.PNG

534596085_Anotherrearviewofbracket.thumb.PNG.bdfaa372a9cae82a8969f9462f825940.PNG

The bracket on the right may be for the top coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Two bolts go through the bottom holes and attach somewhere below the reservoir (on the TGV?), and the top hole with the nut on the back attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. Good luck getting that guy back on ;)

If that's what it's for you'll be fine without it as long as the small bolt(s) on top of the reservoir are snug.

Archived