LegacyGT.com

Turbo oil return leak

Hi -

I recently jumped into the Turbo Subaru world by purchasing a 2005 LGT Wagon with 5MT. It is a lot of fun but I am catching flack from the wife about an oil leak (she sees and smells it in the garage on the drip pan I put under the car).

Anyway- the leak appears to be coming from the underside of the turbo. Specifically, it looks like it is seeping out of the 2-bolt flange on the oil return pipe where it bolts to the turbo. I am planning on taking it to the shop to change the oil, gearbox oil and rear diff oil.

I would like to have them fix this leak as well and thought I would run this by all you experts first so I can 'guide' them if there is a proven fix method.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the input.

So I was hoping to order the gasket and hose (I think 5/8" silicone hose would also work) online but not having luck finding this. Can I maybe use high temp RTV to seal the flange to the turbo?

Are you doing the work yourself ?

This is a big project. While the turbo is off, other things should be done.

remove the banjo filter on the back of the passenger side head.

install a catless up pipe and 3" down pipe.

get the car tuned for the 3" DP.

check the condition of the turbo inlet pipe, they can be soft after all these years.

I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, it helps save the inlet hose from being cut by the turbo as well as leave those bolts lose until the tmic is installed, that play will help line up the tmic connections.

Make a note of how the TB hose is clocked, make sure it goes back on in the same clocking. Try not the remove it from the TB just the tmic outlet...good luck with that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A local shop will be putting this on a lift and at least checking if it is possible to fix without removing the turbo. Probably wishful thinking...

The motor was just rebuilt in this car 3000 miles ago and the turbo is new. The items you suggest have all been addressed already.

I now just have this slow leak headache to deal with.

BTW - great forum and kind help!!

Archived