LegacyGT.com

Garurumon's 2006 OBP Legacy GT Build Thread

They look the same as the RAs, but in a different color with no logo.

Do you notice a difference in mud distribution with the brand name mud flaps vs your DIY? :lol:

If I had to estimate, I'd say nope. The RAs are a little bit easier to clean though, and definitely look better. The RAs are a little bit higher up the wheel well so that helps.

They do get more compliments though!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little update:

I got my car back :) and within 24 hours... it was in pieces in my driveway lol. I installed the Rev9 downpipe, catless uppipe, and the Mishimoto adapter. I was a little worried of the adapter leaking considering it does not use the donut gasket, rather a traditional flat gasket. But, after starting her up and testing for leaks, it was solid and perfect :)

I've got a long list of mods to do still, so stay tuned!

Did you have it etuned for the catless uppipe and downpipe, or still on stock tune?

I have it currently on a stage 2 base tune from Cryotune Performance. It still needs to go through the iterative e tune process before it's fully tuned, but it's fine for just driving around.

Car feels great! Building a tune off of target boost at 17.5 psi and tapering to 14 by redline.

You're holding 14PSI at redline on a VF-40? Any datalogs or videos?

Probably not. That's just what the target table values have. I'll post some logs soon when I have time to actually log!

As an update: I have a small coolant leak from the squeeze clamps on the line right above the uppipe, so its leaking onto the uppipe and smoking like crazy. I'm hitting up Canadian Tire tomorrow morning to grab some more line, and some screw-clamps to clean up that leak.

I've got some new exhaust gaskets coming in the mail as well, theres a small leak in the manifold to uppipe connection which is unfortunate, but should only be 2 business days for that one.:cool:

I think I fixed the leak. I went to Canadian tire and swapped out the clamps, and after burning off the residual coolant, no smoke. Feelsgoodman.jpg after about 50 or so miles I'll check again and if it's dry as a bone, I'll start tuning.

• 5 weeks later...

Tune is almost done, 19 psi peak to 15 at redline targets, more realistically 18 psi to 13ish at redline due to the small turbo being a restriction. Stage 2 feels good!

I'm selling the RPF1s to go with an 18" wheel next summer.

Also I got a roof rack and cargo box for the top for ski season. I'll post some pictures when I have that all installed :)

• 1 year later...

q6rdQYqT

I also got a 2002 WRX spoiler (not the big one) for insanely cheap and tossed it on. Some of you might not like it, but I actually think it suits the car pretty well.

The car is getting some front lowering springs (dreaded Bilstein front gap) and I will post more pics when those come in.

Also there are more pictures on my Instagram if you guys wanna check it out @coltjen

So I installed the ES shifter bushings and wow, what a difference!! The car shifts so much crisper now! The difference in NVH is hardly noticeable as well. I have a StreetRays Pitch stop coming next weekish (the kind with the poly inserts), so I will report back when that is in. Springs and LCA bushings go in this weekend, I'm excited to get a proper alignment again... My current LCA bushings are dead.

I decided I wanted to try the whole wingless thing again. I actually like it a lot better, but I'll have to fill the holes in the trunk. Oh well, you live and learn I guess.

43085709_183794099184567_8261433769257336832_n.jpg

43231306_476077936134471_844111771181514752_n.jpg

Well, working on the car yesterday and disaster struck. We were torqueing down the Bilstein top hat nut with the new springs, and the stud snapped. I'm not sure if this is repairable, but It means my front Bilsteins are unusable for the time being :( Luckily I had my OEM struts still, so I threw those on with the JDM LGT springs. The height is actually perfect, but I miss the firmness of the Bilsteins. I'm going to email their customer service and see if this is repairable.

On another note, we got the Energy Suspension LCA bushings in. Pretty sure it amplified my previous shitty alignment, but the car feels smoother over bumps. Feels like the struts can do their job more, I guess. Getting out the old bushings was a pain, but they were very tired. The passenger side was only connected on one side of the bushing, the rubber was completely torn on the other!

That sounds rough, were you using an impact wrench to torque them down?

Sadly, yeah. Just to get the bolt started, then I was going to put the strut in and torque the top hat once it was in, but didn't have a chance to do that. The other bilstein turned out fine, but it was totally a preventable mistake.

In other news I followed NSFW's DBW scaling, and flashed a custom DBW map. I went with a sharp initial progression then linear and the car drives very nice. Throttle is not as twitchy at lower RPMs but still has a quick response.

I also flashed zeroed out CL to Ol delay table and got rid of the injector timing compensation and the car drives quite a bit smoother.

If you want to use air tools to install smaller nuts/bolts, pick up a 3/8" butterfly impact wrench. I got mine for $23.00 years ago. It has a adjustment wheel to slow it down.

Your Impact gun should have an adjustment knob too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you want to use air tools to install smaller nuts/bolts, pick up a 3/8" butterfly impact wrench. I got mine for $23.00 years ago. It has a adjustment wheel to slow it down.

Your Impact gun should have an adjustment knob too.

Good tip. It totally does have an adjustment knob.

Archived