LegacyGT.com

2016 CVT to 6 speed swap

diesel4982

I've had a manual transmission my entire life. Sadly, I had to upgrade to a newer car and really liked the 2016 Legacy. I thought I would get over the cvt transmission, but I can't. Is it possible to swap out the tranny with the Canadian 6 speed? It would be going into a 3.6, not the 2.5 that it comes with. Has anyone attempted this before on the sixth gen? Any help would be really appreciated.

I had the 16 wrx but traded it in bc I needed the size of the legacy. Honestly, I like the refinement of the legacy also, it just needs a manual tranny. The wrx was cramped and the interior too loud for my taste. I know they are different cars and appeal to a different group of people, but the legacy would be so much more fun.

This kind of question comes up all the time. You cannot easily swap from auto to manual transmissions in the CANbus cars as some very important systems run on this network and it throws a bitch-fit when any components are missing. IOW, remove the transmission and the TCU freaks out. Remove the TCU and the ECU freaks out. A local (to me) shop wasted several months and several thousand dollars trying to convert a 5EAT BR9 to 6MT and could not get over the limp-mode hurdle. With cars that were available in another market with the motor and trans you want, it is in theory possible to start swapping all those parts over (and modifying the wiring to suit) until the problems go away. In your case... I can't think of any market which got a car with a 6MT behind an EZ36, so I don't think you're going to escape this cycle of errors.

Your one and only option might be to go to a full motorsports ECU, one with CANbus support for legacy devices like the HVAC, instrument cluster etc. etc. That would only work if the vendor were interested in sniffing out the data packets in your vehicle, programming their CANbus communication module to pass data to the correct addresses and so on. While this has been done on the GRB it's not very likely in your case when there will never be a second customer requiring these things. I hate to say this but Subaru just don't make the car you want and building it might end up more expensive than just buying something German if the wish-list is 6-cylinder motor + 6MT + wagon.

If that's not an option you may want to find a tuner who is interested in spending the time to make the CVT behave more like you want it to. Did they sell a 6MT 2.5GT wagon in Canada? I don't think so, but if they did, importing one of those might make sense. It's easier to make the turbo four into what you want in terms of performance than changing the transmission.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Canada sells the 2016 Legacy with a 6 speed. It's only available in the 2.5...but I don't see that as being a big issue. The limited of the Canadian 2.5 comes with all the options that the 3.6 comes with...technically, you should be able to swap the end and the functions should all work.

I swapped trannys on a 99 Nissan Maxima with a Canadian Maxima and was able to get everything to work after some trial and error. I know this would be going from a 4cylinder to a 6cylinder, that part is new to me.

Canada sells the 2016 Legacy with a 6 speed. It's only available in the 2.5...but I don't see that as being a big issue. The limited of the Canadian 2.5 comes with all the options that the 3.6 comes with...technically, you should be able to swap the end and the functions should all work.

I swapped trannys on a 99 Nissan Maxima with a Canadian Maxima and was able to get everything to work after some trial and error. I know this would be going from a 4cylinder to a 6cylinder, that part is new to me.

No, you don't understand. A lot has changed in 10 years. The ECU communicates with other devices in the car over two networks, one at 'real time' speed and the other at low speed. They function like a local area network in that each and every node on the network has a specific address. If you remove or switch any device on the real-time network you cause an error that the ECU reacts to by going into a limp mode which limits throttle opening to 50%.

1. There is no manual transmission version of a 6-cylinder ECU available that can run an EZ36. Any CANbus-era ECU designed for use with an automatic / CVT transmission MUST be in communication with a TCU at all times or it will throw an error which put it into limp mode. I cannot see how being limited to 50% throttle would reconcile with your stated goals.

2. The 2.5i ECU (manual or CVT version) can only run a normally-aspirated EJ25 engine. It only has four injector and four ignition coil drivers, and cannot therefore run an EZ36.

There are more issues connected with the VDC and ABS systems that you would have to contend with but suffice to say the two facts above will stop you dead in your tracks long before you get to them.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/52051029.jpg

Oh sorry, thinking aloud.

OP your only option is to trade in your car for something that you like. Why would you mess around with a perfectly good new car. Either learn to live with it or trade it in for something that you like. :spin:

There is no swapping in anything because all these new cars are highly complex electronically. The CVT is a good mate to the Subaru engine.

---

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/52051029.jpg

Oh sorry, thinking aloud.

OP your only option is to trade in your car for something that you like. Why would you mess around with a perfectly good new car. Either learn to live with it or trade it in for something that you like. :spin:

There is no swapping in anything because all these new cars are highly complex electronically. The CVT is a good mate to the Subaru engine.

Or we can ask Subaru to listen to its customers and give them what they want...even if it has to be special ordered. I'd wait.

There aren't many manual tranny cars..not that size, and not with the same capabilities. The legacy is a great car, but the cvt isn't the best for me.

Same thing happened when everyone wanted a turbo wagon. They got it in 2005 but sales were not what they needed to be. Also Subaru today in the US focuses more on meeting federal regulations in terms of smog/efficiency. Trying to make a manual car meet the standards of the 50 states is a bitch. This is why there is still a 6speed in Canada and not here in the US. But the Canadian model is the low end stripped down model that no one here in the US would buy.

Honestly there are very few car brands that offer a car to the level of the legacy that has a 6speed manual. You can start searching for a car with AWD manual transmission sedan in the Legacy's model size. I think there are zero.

If you can wait to build your dream car, I think there are other brands that may cater to your needs better. You can ask of Subaru whatever you want, but having the 6th gen selling well I doubt they will listen to anyone right now.

---

Audi S4 Avant? BMW 335xi Touring?

Sent from a device using some software.

Audi S4 Avant? BMW 335xi Touring?

Price point. Yes you can pay double for all the same amenities that you get in a Legacy.

---

Don't hold your breath while waiting for Subaru to make you a half-price 6-cylinder, AWD, 6MT touring wagon. Building such a thing yourself (if anyone was interested in helping) would push the cost rapidly toward the price range the Germans occupy. You'd still only have a science-experiment vehicle instead of something warrantied.

I think mating an EZ36 and another Subaru transmission would call for some custom buts in the clutch and flywheel assembly. If your interested about the process MCM did a video series with a turbo EZ36 in a 2nd gen wagon (gramps). They used a EZ and mated it to a STI trans so it could hold the torque.

^^ Yup. Mechanical stuff is Lego. CANbus stuff is designed not to swap around. Gramps specifically was a non-CANbus car and used a motorsports ECU, so ****-all in common with what the OP is trying to do.

Archived