LegacyGT.com

Newly assembled block - crazy high oil pressure

So I just slapped my old heads onto a new short block. Went to start her up and she started up, albeit with a small vacuum leak that I knew about, so I kept the revs around 2k to make sure it was running right. As I'm looking at the dash, I see the oil pressure warning light start to flicked so I shut it off. I check the engine and oil is all over the top of the drivers side of the motor, dripping down on the heads and a pool on the ground. The oil filter had a small dent in it before that got pushed out, so I know that the oil pressure in the motor got too high and it seems like it pushed a cam seal out. I used some RTV sealant on the main cam cap, but I think I used too much and blocked one of the oil passages. Is there an easy way to see where the oil passages are blocked or does this usually require tearing the block apart?

I'd be checking if the source of the leak is coming from any of the oil gallery ports on top of the engine, eg the rhs avcs/turbo supply banjo under the inlet, the gallery hex plug adjacent, and the oil pressure port below the alternator. Plus the lhs avcs oil line...

Apparently reinstalling the head gaskets upside down can cause a massive oil leak on top of the engine...

Blocking the inlet cam oil port can tend to blow out that cam seal which would mean oil leaking from the lower part of the timing cover, iirc. Logging avcs vvt angle would be a good idea as long as you have correct oil pressure if any.

So maybe clean it all up carefully, pull the fuel pump fuse, crank for a few seconds to see if you can locate the issue. UV dye in the oil might help too.

Were your heads recoed before the rebuild?

I was terrified that I had put them on upside down, but I looked at the tabs at the top on the tranny side so I know they're in correctly. I'm thinking that it's the cam seals seated too deep. I put them on when the heads were apart instead of sliding them over the cams once the heads were assembled.

Archived