has a smaller diameter, so road clearance

is reduced.

. When the wear indicator appears on

the tread, replace the tire.

. The temporary spare tire must be used

only on a rear wheel. If a front wheel tire

gets punctured, replace the wheel with a

rear wheel and install the temporary spare

tire in place of the removed rear wheel.

My POV is pay for tires or pay for something much more inconvenient. I choose to drive this car because of its safety and handling, if that means I spend more on tires so be it.

Unless you have some really agressive tires, I have my doubts that you wore off 4/32nd evenly off all 4 tires in 10k miles. I would guess normally most tires would wear 2-3/32nds. You can also even out the tires by adding pressure to the worn tires and reducing pressure to the new tire. You do something like 38psi in the 3 old tires and 28psi in the new one. The 28psi tire would also wear faster as well. Tire pressure is not going to make up a 4/32 though.

I barely even tried...

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/23936/transmission-damage-due-to-uneven-tread-wear-on-awd-vehicle

This is not anecdotal advice passed along the forums it is in the owners manual and in the FSM ignore the warnings at your own risk.

From that thread:

Thanks! I didn't know Subaru had terrible AWD design.

doug65536 Dec 29 '15 at 8:55

@doug65536 - it's not necessarily a bad design, it's just built to tight tolerances and you have to be aware of its constraints. Properly taken care of, Subaru's AWD system will last a long time. I have a 12 year old Subaru that has never had an AWD problem.Johnny Dec 29 '15 at 17:16

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I get a lot of dumb kids with mismatched tires in my shop all the time. Never have I seen one with a damaged transmission becasue of it.

There's probably more to that stack exchange story... Like the car was towed by wrecker with 2 wheels on the ground after the tire blew initially.

In the case of one mismatched tire, putting it on the front axle with the open diff gives lots of room for mismatch in wheel speed. I guess I was mainly thinking of one wheel, not two.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Us 5th-gen guys have open diffs front and rear, and VDC acts like a LSD when we try to do parking lot doriftos, so there's no viscous coupling on the rear axle to cook with different tire sizes.

^ True, but you also have ABS (functioning as traction control) that detects wheel speed differences and applies braking, effectively creating a wheel-end differential effect on both open-diff axles. May seem seamless, but there's still loading that's going on in the center diff when you have circumferential differences.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Us 5th-gen guys have open diffs front and rear, and VDC acts like a LSD when we try to do parking lot doriftos, so there's no viscous coupling on the rear axle to cook with different tire sizes.

The open diffentials will just splits the speed between the wheels. If the car is driving 60 and one tire is doing 59 the other 61. If you were doing a burnt out and one was doing 0 the other would be doing 120mph. Their is viscous coupling between the front and rear axles. This is from cars101.com.

"2.5i, Premium, GT with manual 6 speed transmission

Continuous All Wheel Drive system with VDC stability control, traction control symmetrical viscous coupling 50/50 front/back power split.

Hill holder is standard."

I think the VDC is a fancy way of saying traction control that engages the rear brakes, it is nothing like what the 6th gen or WRX have that engage one brake to enhance the handling.

Right, I'm just saying we don't have a viscous LSD on the rear axle like on previous generations, so there's nothing there to cook (assuming that was the reason for suggesting that the odd-sized tire should go up front). I think we're all agreeing, I just wasn't speaking English the whole time...

Like you said, I don't think we have the same fancy torque-vectoring setup as the newer models, but the rear brakes will definitely pulse if the ABS sensors read vastly different speeds (which makes the aforementioned snowy parking lot doriftos a little less fun).

Archived