LegacyGT.com

Burned out headlights....again

JPH102900

I've had my car since 2012 and have already gone through two sets of headlight bulbs. The first time, I replaced them myself by going up through the fender (not fun if you have big hands/arms). The second time, my car was already in the shop and I just had them do it. They charged me an arm and a leg because they took the bumper off in order to do the job instead of going through the fender.

Well a year later, my drivers side is out again. I need to get the car inspected, so I am just going to do it myself and go through the fender again, but I am getting tired of this process. I'll get a long-life H7 bulb instead of a standard one this time, but I don't expect it to last much longer.

Will an HID kit solve this or will I just find myself having to replace those bulbs too? I put an HID kit on my old mazda3 and had it on for 4 years without any problems.

Any advice would be great.

Assuming you seated the bulbs properly, sealed up the headlights and you made sure the bulb glass was clean, what bulbs did you use?

Things like fingerprints/moisture (oil creates hotspots on the glass), vibrations (breaks the element) tend to blow bulbs. Also, cheap/blue coloured bulbs never last long.

Not sure my issue is related at all, but about a year ago I switched to Sylvania Ultralight H7's, and I'm on my 5th set. The auto parts store has been great about replacing them under warranty, but it's getting frustrating.

I'm not sure what ultralight's are, but if they're like silverstars, they have a poor life expectancy. In the thread below I posted a life expectancy comparison of some bulbs.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/headlight-bulb-250340.html?t=250340

Assuming you seated the bulbs properly, sealed up the headlights and you made sure the bulb glass was clean, what bulbs did you use?

Things like fingerprints/moisture (oil creates hotspots on the glass), vibrations (breaks the element) tend to blow bulbs. Also, cheap/blue coloured bulbs never last long.

I've used standard Sylvania lights (not the ultra light ones or anything special). I asked for H7-LL lights (long life) at the auto parts store, but they didn't have any. I did see the Orsam lights that others have referenced on Amazon, however, I didn't want to wait for them to be shipped and potentially have to deal with return shipping/warranty issues.

The first set I put in, I probably touched the bulb trying to do my first install through the wheel well. Those lights only lasted months. The second set i had done by a reputable garage and they removed the bumper and the headlights to install the bulbs (and charged me for it........). Those ones only last a year and a half.

This time around, I made sure to wear gloves and make sure that everything was sealed up.

Still leaning towards an HID kit in the near future.

Look at pulling the front bar off and then removing the headlight housing. It's a bit more work but much easier to make sure the bulbs are seated and clean. Strange it's blowing so quickly, you must live in a harsh environment lol.

Look at pulling the front bar off and then removing the headlight housing. It's a bit more work but much easier to make sure the bulbs are seated and clean. Strange it's blowing so quickly, you must live in a harsh environment lol.

Already took care of installing it this weekend and went through the wheel well (and rotated the tires while I was at it). When I looked at it closer, it seemed like the shop that removed the bumper and replaced the headlights last time didn't put the dust cap back on tight. That may have had something to do with it. However, Pittsburgh winters can be pretty harsh, so I guess that could have something to do with it too.

Still planning to go with some HID's in the fall and I'll take the bumper off for that process.

Archived