LegacyGT.com

Possibly Overboosting?

I just bought a Cobb Accessport V3 with the stage 1+ SF intake and box. I read on the map that I would be pushing 15psi with this tune, but what I didn't take into account is that I have an invidia catless uppipe. When I did a pull in 3rd gear I (felt a nice increase over the stock map) looked at my accessport boost gauge and it said I hit 16.87 psi.

I'm afraid that I will end up overboosting and blowing up my turbo, so I'm sort of looking at a pro-tune or E-tune if I am overboosting. I contacted cobb support and they said as long as I don't go over 17 psi I should be fine but I'm not sure how generalized that answer is.

I guess my question is, am I overboosting? If so, what are some good E-Tuners that will send me a cobb accessport map? Also, what are some good Pro-Tuners (I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and cannot travel more than 2 hours out for a pro-tune) around my area?

I'm still unsure if I am going to go stage 2 with my car as of now so I'm leaning towards the E-tune for $$ purposes.

All input is appreciated, Thanks!

You won't kill the turbo running 17-18psi, the concern is more whether the extra boost is making the engine do anything unsafe. Running good 93 octane will help keep things happy. I'm generally around 15.8-16.5psi for the initial boost spike in higher gears (3rd and 4th).

The accessport boost gauge will record the peak of your initial boost spike, and it may only be there for a moment.

Watch the air fuel correction, as well as knock count, dynamic advance multiplier (DAM), knock correction, and knock learning. Do some pulls, and take some datalogs. If it's not knocking or going lean under boost, you're probably fine.

The ECU will add/subtract wastegate duty cycle (more duty cycle = moar Boost!) in an attempt to hit boost targets accurately, so I'd drive it around and do some pulls for a few days to see if it settles out to where it should be.

You can also open the map in accesstuner, and remove some wastegate duty cycle, or adjust the minimum wastegate duty cycle table down a bit in the region you're overboosting.

An e tune wouldn't be a bad plan, as that would ensure you've got a safe and healthy map tuned for your specific vehicle, rather than the one size fits all Cobb maps. Usually you'll get more power and better fuel economy out of a custom map.

An e tune wouldn't be a bad plan, as that would ensure you've got a safe and healthy map tuned for your specific vehicle, rather than the one size fits all Cobb maps. Usually you'll get more power and better fuel economy out of a custom map.

QFT!!

A good etune is always best. What you need to do is make up your mind if you are going to go stage 2 in the next year and then if you are then buy your downpipe and get your stage 2 tune done via etune from any of the tuning vendors here (Cryotune who I have used is great, Tuning Alliance who Max Capacity has used and I've only heard good things about, and some others). They can do both stage 1 and stage 2 etunes as well as stage 3 depending on if you have a wideband or some other factors. I am just finishing up my second etune going from vf40 stage 2 to vf52 stage 2 with Cryo and he has been great to work with.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

The peak number recorded (as someone mentioned) could have just spiked for a moment, then settled lower. It's not smart to stare at the AP while doing a pull to see if thats the case, so I recommend a datalog ;) This is VERY common on the new DIT wrx cars.

If you haven't done one before, this is the proper way: https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200025134-How-to-Datalog

That article also has good information on the top monitors you should look at to make sure the tune on your car is running properly. (DAM, knock, AF Learning, etc)

I've done e-tuning with two tuners in the past - phatbotti and Clark Turner. Now that I'm in Phoenix, AZ Clark is local, so I have him street tune my cars - I would recommend him as an option for you to consider, along with the others mentioned above.

Archived