LegacyGT.com

Need Help With Brake Lights

seanod

Girlfriend has a 98 legacy l. when you turn on the lights it looks like your stepping on the brakes they are always bright. They do get brighter when you step on brakes but you can tell they are not right. Any ideas on what may be causing this? Thanks for your help Sean.

Can you take a few pics for us, one of the brake lights on (headlight switch on) and then one of you on the brakes? I know the lights are kinda on the bright side to begin with, but when you are on the brakes at night, the slightest difference in brightness is alot. I'm sure its probably messed up like you say, since you can see them and I cant, but a few pics would help.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Not sure but i will try to get pics. They are def. brighter than they are supposed to be it looks like your always riding the brakes. Shes had the car for 4 years and this has just recently become a problem a month or two. Its so bad she got pulled over tonight.

Alright then something is definitely wrong if they are bright enough to get pulled over for it. In the trunk of the car are two covers over the rear tail lights, push the little plastic lock thingys down to open the covers. There should be two bulbs in there, one stacked above the other, take out the top one (its the brake light) and check to see the wear on the bulb (look for any discoloration of the bulb or a break in the coil). It might just be a good idea to replace both bulbs anyway since its a 98 and they arent expensive, so why not (its a nice gesture from you to replace them for her and you will prolly get rewarded ;) ). While you are in there too check the wires leading to the bulb housing for any loose ones.

I hope you dont find it insulting that I went step by step, but I just wanted to cover everything for you right now that would be a quick fix, because if none of these things I talked about above, the walkthrough will get a bit tougher since we will have to go into wiring. Good luck with everything and tell your GF she has a sweet car!

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Alright sorry to ask that question, but I had a dumb friend put the wrong lights in before and it goofed everything up. Hmm there is definitely something wrong with a short in the line somewhere since it popped a fuse. Alright as soon as I get back to school I'll dig out the Diagrams for you and look them over to figure out where a possible short is. In my '97 GT I had a bad bulb in the glove box that caused the fuse to blow completely wiping out my interior guage lights, so there is probably something inline with the rear tails that is messing it up.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

That is a possibility, seriously it was a joke to have someone open my glove box on the ride home, to have your guage cluster go out (little scary at 12:00 am when you don't know how fast you are going). Wiring in cars is just awkward, so the first thing I will do is locate the power winder switch on the diagram and see if it ties into the tail lights, man that would be gay to have the winder switch causing the problem

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to you, I had some issues to deal with here at school, but I didnt forget you.

Here is the good news, according to my wiring diagrams the power window switch does not tie into the tail lights in any way, so that is eliminated. Now for the tricky part, the tail lights have three possible fuses that might be bad. The fuses are #12 (20A) and #5(10A) in the fuse/relay box down by your pedals, the third is under the hood in the Main fuse box and it is #23 (20A). If none of those are bad, or look to be deteriorating, the problem probably lies in one of two places. The two places are the Stop/brake switch, or the Tail/illumination relay (my bet is this one for obvious reasons). If you find that none of the fuses are blown, let me know here, or through a PM and I'll go out to my car and locate the relay behind the dash and get an idea of how to troubleshoot that. The quickest option obviously is to print out what I have just said here and take it to a mechanic and tell him (or her, you never know ;) ) that you checked the fuses that I listed and that you believe the Tail/Illumination relay is shot.

Best of luck and sorry once again for how long it took me to get back to you

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived