LegacyGT.com

after the 19mm rear bar upgrade??

Need some help figuring out the next move. not interested in lowering the car ('13 legacy limited) but I sure like better handling.

The rear bar wasn't the huge upgrade that you would expect from all the posts.

So what's next? Front bar??

Any input, particularly on front bar options would be most appreciated.

I did a search and came up w/ nothing.

Your front bar is already 26mm from the factory. There is nothing available that is bigger. I would suggest the Whiteline Adjustable 22mm rear sway bar. It is a significant improvement over the 19mm bar, which honestly, doesn't really do much to firm up the handling, it pretty much only gets rid of the scary sway, and that's it.

If you don't want to lower the car, the stock springs could also be paired with Koni shocks. That would be a massive improvement in overall handling.

Thanks for the help GTEASER. I can't find any performance shocks, Koni or Bilstein that fit the 2013 Legacy. Checked both companies web site and several aftermarket supply houses, nothing. Kinda strange.

The only thing available other than KYB OEM replacements is Koni Yellows for 08-14 WRX fitment. The rears are direct replacement, the fronts are inserts that go inside the stock front struts after they are cut open and drilled at the bottom.

Spend some time reading the suspension sticky in the 5th Gen section. Most of the info and links should be there.

So it looks like Konis will work w/ modifications to the front shock housing. No Bilsteins made for the '13.

It's difficult from the suspension thread to visualize the modifications needed to fit the front struts into the existing strut housings, any help or direct links would be great.

But short term i see a new 22mm rear bar and (finally after 50k) new tires as a starting point.

I can do the front strut build for you. I've done it for almost 10 members now. This is the most recent one just last week.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/4289ae87670f1f00f752f1e6baa2c066.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/5d007f2f4ffbe05c65622640dc80bafd.jpg

There is a Koni/Epic springs thread in the 4th gen section. The original photos have been lost but the last post links to a Web archive website and you can see the photos there. Same process for our cars but maybe a different measurement or two.

Google GTWORX's bilsteins, they were made specifically for 5th gens, that's what I'm riding on with Swift springs.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsddniharb.jpeg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/IMG_6754_zpsnfoeezwt.jpg

Not the one w/ Three Days of Love and Understanding, the one on GA.

That's what I thought, nice town, and not too terribly far from Allpro. Give them a call, they can hook you up with whatever you need for a Subaru.

When swapping over to the Bils, did you get a chance to compare the dimensions of the two struts to see if there were any length differences?

Not really cuz I was short on time, but the Bilstein struts were the only thing I changed and the drop is back to normal/balanced. The drop was fine even when I had OE struts with swift springs and it was installed by swift's engineer in SoCal, it was a perfect install. I had that setup for a few years before getting K's, and that's when the front dipped (tires tucked in) as soon as the car came back down on the ground.

Looks like I'll start w/ the suggested 22mm whiteline adjustable. Decided on Continental's

ExtremeContact DWS 06 when it's time.

Does a front strut brace do anything for the Legacy?

Looks like I'll start w/ the suggested 22mm whiteline adjustable. Decided on Continental's

ExtremeContact DWS 06 when it's time.

Does a front strut brace do anything for the Legacy?

I have those tires. They aren't very good. Terrible lateral stability.

I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s if you want a good UHP all season.

I have those tires. They aren't very good. Terrible lateral stability.

I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s if you want a good UHP all season.

The reviews seem to conflict.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/talkovich/continental.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/talkovich/michelin.jpg

The DWS has very thin and flexible sidewalls. It's very light weight, but not stiff. Lateral stability suffers. Prone to cross wind deformation. They are indeed excellent in water, though. Much much much better in water than say a Michelin Pilot SS based on my own personal experience.

It really depends on you driving conditions and driving style I suppose. If you live somewhere with strong winds the DWS will drive you sideways, in more ways than one. If you get heavy down pours with half an inch of water on the road, then you may really appreciate them.

The DWS has very thin and flexible sidewalls. It's very light weight, but not stiff. Lateral stability suffers. Prone to cross wind deformation. They are indeed excellent in water, though. Much much much better in water than say a Michelin Pilot SS based on my own personal experience.

It really depends on you driving conditions and driving style I suppose. If you live somewhere with strong winds the DWS will drive you sideways, in more ways than one. If you get heavy down pours with half an inch of water on the road, then you may really appreciate them.

I have the original DWS and I like them very much. Reading this I may have to do some homework on an new all season tire. With a few visits to Tahoe in the winter and occasional time in the snow maybe DWS isn't the best choice.

OP, if you don't want to lower the car, and I may sound like a broken record here, get yourself a proper "custom" alignment...not just something that is within spec.

Do you drive the car hard enough to tell if you have understeer or oversteer?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Archived