LegacyGT.com

Legacy Rally Light Bar

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would work for installing a double light bar? No one seems to have a bull bar made specifically for the 2015 Legacy. Are there any comparable bars from other vehicles that match the Legacy specs? SSD says another month but I live in Alaska and it's really dark here. I want to install the light bar this week!!! Any suggestions folks?

Thanks!

Custom brackets are your best bet. Get some 1" or so wide steel flat bar from home depot/Lowes and bend it to suit your needs. Spray with truck bed liner, underbody coating, or something else durable to prevent rust. That's how I mounted my Hellas. They're solid as can be, I clipped a deer a few weeks back and all I had to do is re-tighten the lower bolt. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hella-500ff-install-253182.html

If you're doing an LED light bar another option is to mount in the lower grill area, just depending on the size.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the feedback! That's a nice DIY little project. You are right that I am doing a light bar and the lower grill may be suitable. But in Alaska, there are occasions where we drive in deep snow and I wonder if the light bar would be ineffective during those albeit few times due to the low positioning of the light bar in the lower grill. I'm not totally sure. That's why I was hoping to mount the light bar just above the license plate area in order to give me better chances at not getting the light bar blocked by a quick-and-heavy-snow-fall. Thanks so much for replying!

I guess I was wondering if the internal frame of the Legacy changed "that much" from 2014 to 2015??? There are rally bars available for the 2014 Legacy. I don't even know how far those come up (if they would make it to the area between the license plate and the grill). I wouldn't mind the light bar blocking some of the open-and-close grill area since it never gets too hot here in the summers and if anything, the grill would need more closing to keep the heat in. I wonder if anyone else has had some of these considerations?

Thanks folks.

• 10 months later...

Hey all!

Like many of you, I've been searching for awhile for a rally light bar for the current gen Legacy, with no luck. During my search I stumbled across this forum which seemed to have some promise but, alas, has died down.

I may have some more promise for us. I've received a bar from SSD, originally designed for the current gen Outback. In theory it should work for the Legacy, but that's what I'm gonna test out. The plan is to give it a go on Thursday. I also bought some Hella 500s to complete the look. Honestly, I think the bar will work, the more difficult part will be hooking up lights (not exactly my strong suit, but that's what friends are for).

I'll post an update once we're done Thursday!

I am a fan of it farther apart. How do you plan on mounting this?

I seen another member had a light bar in front there, I thought it looked pretty subtle. Trying to figure out how he mounted it as well.

I noticed this thread and thought I would share my current setup, It's a process to mount it correctly and to make it sleek looking, but I enjoy what I did here.

457666613_SubaruPic.jpg.c7d147f7659b3de23735e4219ecf05b5.jpg

I noticed this thread and thought I would share my current setup, It's a process to mount it correctly and to make it sleek looking, but I enjoy what I did here.

I'm more of a fan of fog lights instead of light bars (on cars) myself, but that is pretty slick looking. I think it helps that your legacy is black. Looks good though!

Not that I want to be a killjoy here but have you thought of the impact a front light bar might have on the operation of the airbag sensors and seatbelt pretensioners? My owners manual states:

"Do not perform any of the following modifications. Such modifications can interfere with proper operation of the seatbelt pretensioners.

. Attachment of any equipment (bush bar, winches, snow plow, skid plate, etc.) other than genu- ine SUBARU accessory parts to the front end."

Just saying...

Sorry for the delay but it was a success! Got the bar and lights installed on my Legacy. For some reason it won't load the pictures from my phone into this blog so I'll try again when I get home and get to my computer. I think it looks good! I don't think the SSD site has a picture up yet but I think it's orderable from their site now. I'll try to get a pic posted by tonight

Sorry for the delay but it was a success! Got the bar and lights installed on my Legacy. For some reason it won't load the pictures from my phone into this blog so I'll try again when I get home and get to my computer. I think it looks good! I don't think the SSD site has a picture up yet but I think it's orderable from their site now. I'll try to get a pic posted by tonight

How much are the bar?thanks

Need to see these pic!!!!!!👍

Not that I want to be a killjoy here but have you thought of the impact a front light bar might have on the operation of the airbag sensors and seatbelt pretensioners? My owners manual states:

"Do not perform any of the following modifications. Such modifications can interfere with proper operation of the seatbelt pretensioners.

. Attachment of any equipment (bush bar, winches, snow plow, skid plate, etc.) other than genu- ine SUBARU accessory parts to the front end."

Just saying...

the other two issues are:

• You can only use this type of lighting legally while driving offroad. So if you live out west or in Maine and have a 2 mile long driveway, that would be a good consideration, if you only drive on public roads, it won't ever be legal for you to turn them on.

and

• The chance of a minor fender bender causing a large amount of damage to the radiators, etc, increases when you install anything to the front of the car.

Anyone who has removed the bumper for mods can see there ain't much there to begin with. Items in front of the radiators will likely destroy them even in a minor fender bender.

I drive quite a bit, including dark country roads. They are perfect for the State parks I visit in southeast Ohio. But I'm not gonna lie, half of it is I think they make the car look sportier.

Hey, I won't fault you there, brother; they look pretty bad ass!

If you're able, can you setup a decent camera to manual mode and capture a dark road view with them off and then on? That would be awesome to see.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Archived