LegacyGT.com

Odd drivetrain noise

So I've had this for awhile now and I haven't looked for the problem because I'm assuming it's internal in the trans. What is happening is when I am on deceleration on a flat or downhill in gear Im hearing a gargling noise. It happens consistantly and for the last 15-20kmi.

The 02 wrx I had did the same thing and never had a problem for 80kmi so I'm not that worried but when I had brentuning tune the lgt he seemed alarmed so I'm curious

I'll take a video tonight of it to get the sound.

You'll be surprised how the sound travels down the propeller shaft.

I just had my 5mt gone through again, all new bearings, it clear now that my rear diff is loud under decal.

I have learned to coast going down hills, the noise stops then. Learned that many years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ok so i took a video. i havent been able to ride in the back yet so thatll have to wait but if you listen to the video close you can hear the noise. it kinda sounds like a higher pitched jake brake that is on and off or a kinda grinding but not a nasty grinding.

you can start to hear it best around 12 sec

the best way to make the noise is the have the trans in a high enough gear so there isnt alot of drag during decel down hill. i.e. 45mph in 5th

That's about the same sound my wagon's rear diff makes when doing the same thing.

I have learn to put the tranny in neutral and coast down hill if I know there's a stop sign coming up.

At highway speeds 70mph that noise is not a issue up and down hills...for the most part.

I do plan to pull the rear diff this Spring and have it gone through.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'll have to get a better listen from the back seat. I find it odd that with both of the Subaru's I've had I've had the same noise and the wrx I had started making the noise shortly after I did the clutch and as far as I know the rear end was never touched besides fluid changes untill it was crushed due to rust at around 200k mi and it started doing it at like 80 kmi

Yeah just found that in a infamous post lol. I've been out of the loop for so long that I forgot all of the shorthand.

My biggest problem is I don't exactly know what's in my car because I bought it with a lot of what's done to it already done I basically just completed the setup and refined it.

I have to look at the paperwork again but as far as I know when the clutch was done they replaced the flywheel with another Factory one. After reading the post from Infamous I'm positive that what I'm hearing is some clutch chatter and it makes complete sense to me.

I've never actually driven a car with a lightweight flywheel so I can't exactly rule that out but it is a bitch to get my lgt moving.... anybody that ever drive that including seasoned manual transmission drivers stall out once or twice before really getting going but my RPMs don't really drop that quickly so I'm assuming I don't have a LWFW

I've had all three FW types in my wagon. Been driving a stick car since I learned to drive on a 1969 VW back then in 1970. I still stall it every now and then.

When coasting down hill in neutral, are there any noises you hear ?

If you hear noises then...you better have that checked out. My rear diff is quiet when in neutral coasting down hills, at any speed. The 5mt had all new bearing over Xmas, so my noise is not coming from there. The car currently has OEM SMFW.

Back at 70,000 miles I had a Spec LWFW installed, the driveline noise increased about that time. At 141,000 miles the rear diff broke.

The diff I installed had 32,000 miles on it, it came from a 6mt swap. So this diff has 120,000 miles on it. As I said plan to pull it and have it checked soon.

Damn... I'll have to get in the back seat and listen closer. Maybe I'll be able to hear it if I have it up on the lift spinning? I'll be doing brakes and tires this weekend so I'll try that when I have it up on the lift

Archived