LegacyGT.com

My Next Subaru_Legacy Or STI

Hi Everyone,

Been a forum member since '07 and purchased my '08 new in Sept of that year. 6 miles when delivered and 138k on the clock today some 8+ years later.

The Legacy was my second Subaru. I had a '06 FXT prior. Loved that car, but my Ex-wife got it. My '08 5EAT has been very good to me and runs/looks about as good as the day I got it.

I'm planning to buy a new Subaru this year and give my Legacy to my wife. What new car to buy? While it seems like a no brainer decision, I've got a few things I can't decide on just yet.

First, the aging power train in the 2016 STI. I also drive 75 miles round trip each day commuting to work. Most of it is freeway, but I live in the Bay Area and traffic is a grind.

I was disappointed when the STI didn't get the engine refresh and timing chain the WRX got. The 2015+ Legacy has a 6cyl.

These are the items I'm torn on. I need a new car. The STI probably won't get a timing chain until 2018. It's a 6 speed and my commute isn't very conducive to a stick. But these are not new to me either. I drove 5 speed VW's for over 10 yrs. The Legacy is attractive offering a 6 cyl/AT and timing chain.

In the STI's defense, I am comfortable servicing its engine. After 8+ years of GT ownership, I am completely at home under the hood. A new Legacy will be a new experience.

I'm waiting a few months to see what the 2017 STI will be offered with? But suspect the same 2.5 as its still in between Subaru's normal 3 year refresh schedule after a major exterior refresh.

I thought it would be an easy decision, but it's not. I'm not boy racer and will never track the car. I do however, love to put my foot into it. I'm currently in the research phase. I've looked at both cars and each has its pro's and con's.

-Cost is not a factor

-Wife cannot drive a stick, but she'll have the Legacy

-Do I want to move to stick with my commute

-Aging 2.5 in STI

-New Legacy bodes well for my commute

-Would love never to have to change another timing belt

-Have always wanted 4 pot BBK

-Miss driving stick

-Don't really care about eye-sight or lane assist

Before anyone suggests I go with a WRX, I'm not going to do it. I'm a purest and will never forgive myself not going with an STI if that turns out to be the car.

Based on what I've read... 0-60 in 5.1 (WRX) vs 5.5 (STI) with less turbo lag and more lower end boost/torque throughout the power band. $8,100 (MSRP price difference) on limited models.

If I get an STI, it will get an AccessPort and I'll call it a day. A new Legacy will probably need some suspension bits and god knows what else. I'm not addicted to modding the car like I was with the GT.

I know the decision is mine ultimately, but would value and am open to hearing other's opinions and thoughts. Thanks in advance.

The STi and Legacy 3.6R are two complete different cars. The Legacy 3.6R isn't really a performance car. Obvious its your choice whether or not you want a WRX, but it does check more of more your boxes above than the 3.6R or STi and can be available in a CVT or 6MT depending on your preference. The STi is usually best for those planning on racing their car, a WRX makes a better daily driver.

I would go to a Subaru dealership and test drive the different cars that your interest in.

• 1 month later...

Well, finally made it to the dealer. Drove both cars. They were happy to let me drive the Legacy, not so much the STI, which I understand. I suspected this going in.

I am absolutely sad to say I am no closer now to making a decision. Besides driving both cars, I played the rear seat passenger as well. The Legacy is extremely comfortable F & R. The STI is nice if your sitting in the front, not so much in the back and the extra 3 in of leg room in the Legacy really does make a difference. I'm 5'10.

Looking out from the drivers seat. The Legacy felt completely foreign. Flat hood, a little wide. Steering response is no where near my GT, and the STI, well we all know that feels just like a race car. Extremely responsive, crisp and stiff in comparison. However, looking out from it's drivers seat made me feel like I was home. The familiar bump of the hood scoop and a more narrow front end. I had never driven a car with a short throw shifter. Just inches between gears. Holy crap was that nice. I couldn't get the car past 3rd on the route I was allowed to drive. They let me take the Legacy where I wished.

The eyesight works pretty well. I noticed however, that it does better with broken lane markers than the solid ones at the shoulder. You can still drive off the road without warning. Not huge and it can be turned off right in the steering wheel. Both cars had push button start.

The inside of the STI was loud. The sound tube didn't bother me, but the exhaust note on the STI performance exhaust was pretty deafening. What is Subaru thinking? At least the previous gen SPT exhaust added some power... marginal, but some reduced back pressure for sure. The new STI performance exhaust does only one thing... it just makes noise. The extra money buys you no performance gain, and some complain that the tips of the pipes drop about 1.5-2.0 inches changing the look of the rear.

Trunk space. While there is 3.0 CF difference, the STI trunk was plenty big for me. 2 large suitcases no problem. I liked the carbon fiber accents in the STI, the red leather bolsters on the seats, no so much. The plastic simulated wood on the Legacy's door panels and dash is just downright bad. I hated the twin tubular view of the instrument cluster. 70's throwback. Loved the flat layout of the STI. The Legacy interior is thoughtfully laid out. Electronic gauges at the top mid dash of the STI are nice. Putting the read out for the climate control above where you hands are operating knobs is distracting. Both of the cars were limited trim.

At this point, I'm going to join NASIOC and see if I can find someone to give me more behind the wheel time on the STI. They wouldn't let me take it on the freeway and my commute is 80 miles round trip each day. I had a feeling I was still going to be conflicted after driving both. I was right, no closer to deciding. The only thing that's for sure is its going to be a 2017.

I will tell you that the width of the new Legacies makes interstate driving a puckering experience coming from the Impreza based chassis. That said, the CVT and easy cruising speed make for a calm comfortable ride. I still drive the wife's 5 speed fozzie sometimes, like today, but it's just a nice change, I don't regret trading my car for the Legacy as a commuter.

I went from a 4th gen Legacy to a 3rd gen WRX to a 5th gen Legacy and I'm currently waiting for my 2017 STI to arrive.

I got rid of the WRX to go to the Legacy for more interior space. My kids are older now, so no need for car seats, just a booster... so the rear leg room isn't as big of a deal now so I'm going back down in size to an STI. However, if Subaru still made a LGT with a turbo and a manual, I would have bought that instead of the STI. But there's not very many options when you want 4 doors and a manual. Some commuter type cars, WRX/STI and then jump up into the Audi S4 type stuff for an extra $10k+. I can't do the new Legacy with the 3.6 and only two pedals. It's not very sporty at all.

Personally, I'm glad the STI stuck with the EJ for a bit longer. The FA does seem like it makes a lot of power easily, but I don't like the way it sounds at all, which is a gripe I've had with my current Legacy when I bought it, too.

I've been in plenty of the new WRXs and they are all too tame sounding. Here's my work parking lot (and that's not even all of them :lol:)

http://i.imgur.com/brLNBl3h.jpg

btw, orndog, thanks for the :yeah: posts in the ritf thread on nasioc

Sounds like you want someone to talk you out of the STI...considering your options I don't think anyone can. I agree with the dgoodhue the wrx checks all of your boxes except the whole I don't want a wrx one...so my opinion if you want an STI with an updated powertrain...wait for it there is a good chance 2018 will bring a new turbo legacy to the market as well.

OTOH why not lease the legacy and get that out of your system, then you will be ready for the 2018 STI.

Sounds like you need to try another dealer. If they told me I couldn't test drive the car on the free way I would have just headed for the next dealer. Its not a full test drive w/o some freeway usage. Do they want to sell a car or not?

Sounds like you want someone to talk you out of the STI...considering your options I don't think anyone can. I agree with the dgoodhue the wrx checks all of your boxes except the whole I don't want a wrx one...so my opinion if you want an STI with an updated powertrain...wait for it there is a good chance 2018 will bring a new turbo legacy to the market as well.

OTOH why not lease the legacy and get that out of your system, then you will be ready for the 2018 STI.

First of all.. THANKS GUYS! Each of you touched on many of my sentiments. It's almost unfair trying the compare the two. Night and day. I can't lease due to my putting about 22k per year on a car. I'd like to wait, but wifes Honda needs to go. I guess she could get the new car, but she works from home 90+%... I'm the commuter. So me now, her in 3 yrs. is our plan.

I hate the way the new Legacy sounds. Has the power, but sound on acceleration is just wimpy. It sounded like a loud rattle to me, and it sort of felt like a Cadillac CTS floating. I need to drive the STI again like 762x39 mentions. I need more time behind the wheel at freeway speed to be fair.

Sounds like you need to try another dealer. If they told me I couldn't test drive the car on the free way I would have just headed for the next dealer. Its not a full test drive w/o some freeway usage. Do they want to sell a car or not?

In my experience, Subaru dealers are rather protective of STIs generally. I'm only surprised in that they even allowed him to sit in one and allowed it to move at all.

Buy the STi it can be as tame a car as you drive it. Its like HVAC you can always put on more clothes to get warm but there are only so many you can take off to cool down before you're naked and still hot...I hope that is relevant :)

Ive had both a non-turbo and turbo Legacy (08 2.5i and 09 LGT) I wish I still had the 09 LGT but I also love the new body styles of the STi and the Legacy its just I know i will never be that owner that is content with comfy people mover like the new Legacy is intended to be.

Yep. :) You guys are right. I won't be happy with the Legacy. Its funny I'm actually feeling a sense of relief now. I've got to have the performance only the STI will give. I'm comfy under its hood and know its the right choice. Thanks to all, it really helped me.

Don't forget you can trade your current Accessport in to Cobb with their upgrade program if you can't sell it for that price used. Half off the new v3 one, unless you already have it.

Archived