LegacyGT.com

Clutch time... Again...

baconbits

My Clutchmasters FX250 is slipping in 4th and 5th after just 27,000 miles so needless to say, I'm not too happy.

What's everyone thoughts on Competition clutches? Prices seem good and then come with a flywheel so it's a bolt out bolt in affair. I don't have the means to have a flywheel resurfaced or the time.

If that's not it, what's everyone else using? I'm staying away from Clutchmasters this time. Spec 2+?

Is 13.5lb really *that* light on a flywheel? I don't want light weight but I also don't want to spend over 200 bucks on a new WRX single mass again. Anyone here with a light weight comment on the engagement and city driving abilities?

I'm probably 80/20 city/highway at 12k miles a year with a stage 2 tune.

I ended up getting a Comp Clutch stage 2 kit at a screaming deal.

Still wondering about trans fluid though. I also bought four quarts of Motul 300 75W-90 because I couldn't get Extra-S (or the replacement) in time. Some say mix in a quart of Redline for a 3:1 ratio in the trans and straight 300 in the rear. Some say straight Motul in the trans is fine. :spin:

Buddy of mine will be doing in the install tomorrow night and Saturday afternoon so I'll report back with my initial impression.

I've been running straight motul for a couple years now. Seems fine.

Extra S isn't the same anymore, seems there is better stuff out there now.

Extra S is the same, they just bottled (Subaru High Performance Gear Oil) it for easy sale through the dealerships now. I put some in last year after my clutch change and there has been no issues.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• Moderators
Extra S is the same, they just bottled (Subaru High Performance Gear Oil) it for easy sale through the dealerships now. I put some in last year after my clutch change and there has been no issues.

You're the only person I've seen that has said this. Many others have said its now a different formula.

Regardless, I think the motul is fine. Subaru gear oil is probably fine too.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You're the only person I've seen that has said this. Many others have said its now a different formula.

Regardless, I think the motul is fine. Subaru gear oil is probably fine too.

I am not the only one that has said this, there has been others. It's the same formula, ask the dealer for proof.

My wife's balls are delicious.

What's everyone thoughts on Competition clutches? Prices seem good and then come with a flywheel so it's a bolt out bolt in affair. I don't have the means to have a flywheel resurfaced or the time.

I had Competetition Clutch stage 3 (organic disc, their flywheel included).

It is a race clutch though so avoid it on a street car. Pedal is quite stiffer than stock (I don't mind this), grabs quick, doesn't like slipping and you get really bad shudder (the whole car was shaking) when cruising from a stop or in stop-and-go traffic. If you try to rev it to fight the quick grab/get some slip it would burn/smell really bad and you'll burn through the disk in less than 10k miles.

I also had South Bend Clutch stage 3 Daily and everything was pretty much identical to the Competition Stage 3. It comes with its own flywheel and organic disc. Pedal is way stiffer than stock, grabs quick, doesn't like slipping at all, would burn and smell really bad if you try to slip it even a little bit. Car would shudder really bad when you go from a stop and to avoid the shudder one would have to drag race from every stop/red light.

The whole experience is identical to the Competition Stage 3.

So ... avoid these two unless you are installing it in a dedicated race car.

Hopefully the stage 2 isn't bad. The pedal was *much* stiffer on the Clutchmasters I had versus the OEM, and frustratingly had less feel.

Here's to hoping the stage 2 Competition Clutch is better suited to me than the stage 3 you had.

• 4 months later...

Well, this Comp clutch has been annoying in the what, 5-6 months I've had it. The throw out bearing started squeaking intermittently 3 days after the 90 day warranty ended. It's now chirping all the time. I have a feeling the entire stack (flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate) is too long in the car and is binding up the clutch fork not allowing it to fully release the TOB from the pressure plate so the TOB is always spinning. I'm not sure the spring mod is going to help but it's worth a shot, I suppose.

Pedal feel is okay, but instead of grabbing 1/16 inch off the floor like new, it's grabbing maybe an inch from the top now and not nearly as hard. Sure I can stall it if I'm not paying attention but it used to buck pretty hard if the revs were off by 5rpm when shifting.

Not sure what to do...

Well, this Comp clutch has been annoying in the what, 5-6 months I've had it. The throw out bearing started squeaking intermittently 3 days after the 90 day warranty ended. It's now chirping all the time. I have a feeling the entire stack (flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate) is too long in the car and is binding up the clutch fork not allowing it to fully release the TOB from the pressure plate so the TOB is always spinning. I'm not sure the spring mod is going to help but it's worth a shot, I suppose.

Pedal feel is okay, but instead of grabbing 1/16 inch off the floor like new, it's grabbing maybe an inch from the top now and not nearly as hard. Sure I can stall it if I'm not paying attention but it used to buck pretty hard if the revs were off by 5rpm when shifting.

Not sure what to do...

I guess you didn't like my recommendation in post #2. Sorry.

If your past warranty...there's not much you can do. Have you called CC yet ?

If you need a new clutch, call Brian at http://www.tuningalliance.com he's come close to talking me into a southbend clutch. I have heard lots of good things about them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@Max, sounds like you've had good experience with CC. Still streetable in the Spec? I'm trying to weigh my options with my going-going-gone clutch :(

My Spec B still has the stock clutch. It seems to not be slipping in 5th or 6th gear under high boost anymore. I don't drive the car much by my self, so I don't drive it as hard as my DD the wagon.

The other night after a rain storm as the asphalt was drying a little the old tires didn't hold very well with a 4000rpm launch, they went up in smoke fairly quickly. That Spec 2+ is great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

My Spec 2+ has no issue when slipping, either when I launch the car, pre-load the driveline and then finish releasing the clutch, or when stopped at a light that on a long hill. I live in a pretty hilly area.

Archived