LegacyGT.com

BNR 16g/Invidia UP alignment issue?

So I've been putting my '05 OBXT back together, and the BNR 16g is having clearance issues with the intake manifold.

This is my first turbo Subaru rebuild, and I'm assuming I just need to loosen the uppipe bolts plus the uppipe to head brackets then adjust it towards the block. No pics but, the manifold still needs to go to the drivers side and back about 5mm and its hard pressed against the turbo inlet.

Has anyone else had this problem?

It should bolt in but can be a pain. I haven't seen one yet that had to be reclocked but it can take some elbow grease to get her in there.

Good luck!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Starting to wonder how much of this is the uppipe.

Mounting the turbo shows the the flange is warped so the turbo can rock front to back abut 1cm. Also the lower coolant pipe is hitting the block both on the 16g and the old blown vf40. Both turbos fit flush on the stock uppipe but rock on the invidia also.

Removed the uppipe to check it against the factory one and the flange is fine, it's just the coolant pipe hitting the block.

The uppipe seems to match the dimensions of the factory uppipe so, apparently I just need to keep on adjusting.

Not sure if this helps but I bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

I would also think that if the up pipe is not the right one that could put the turbo at the wrong angle or position.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Aftermarket parts rarely fit perfectly.

My tolmi TS header was 1/2in off on the up pipe portion.

Before that my invida downpipe would not mate to any catback, the flange was at an odd angle from what it was suppose to be.

It must be the uppipe that's off slightly considering both the BNR and the old blown VF40 hit the coolant pipe on the block.

I did get it mounted up though. I took the turbo and uppipe off, got the intake manifold and inlet installed, then torqued the turbo to uppipe and installed it tightening the uppipe bolts last.

The BNR compressor flange is on level plane with the exhaust flange for what its worth. I test fit the stock TMIC and its not sitting flush with the flange. Hopefully some adjusting on the throttle body elbow tomorrow will give it that extra bit it needs. Maybe a slight turbo clocking if not.

I think the last sentence is what your going to have to do.

I have also, left the turbo lose on the up pipe, position the tmic so it line up with the turbo outlet flange and TB and hose, start the two bolts in the turbo outlet flange, start the support bracket bolts, snug the two bolts at the turbo outlet, tighten the clamp at the TB. tighten everything else.

The real fix is a GS tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for missing a deal on a flawless PW TMIC a while back.

Its bolted up though. I did clock the turbo and loosen the uppipe bolts to get it close. It's still leaving the slightest crack on the drivers side of the flange so, hopefully not a boost leak.

If it is, I'll have to tear it back dow... lol can't even finish that sentence. I'll just buy an aftermarket one.

Go ahead and give it a pressure test/smoke test and you will find out real quick if its going to leak. Unfortunately most times if there is any gap in the flanges its going to cause a leak but I'm hoping for your sake I'm wrong on this.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Archived