LegacyGT.com

Rear hatch issues

Kinda cross posting from the wdydty4gt thread.

Tried to open my rear hatch this afternoon and it wouldn't open. First thought was that the lock actuator wasn't working as my rear wiper already doesn't work so I am planning the wiring harness replacement anyway. But the lock actuator cycles fine.

Opened the inspect port for the rear latch and could somewhat move the latch and had someone pull the lever to confirm the handle is still connected via the cable which it is. However it doesn't feel like it is having the full range of motion. Like it is stuck somewhere. I would appreciate any input as I am at a loss of what it could be at this point and I can't open the hatch to take apart the latch.

Maybe I need Fjuan to lube my latch

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I replaced the latch in mine may be 5 years back. The new OEM latch is like $60

I read your thread but it seemed yours was the locking mechanism as an issue. If I can get the hatch open tonight I plan on taking it apart and making sure everything appears and functions normal.

2005 Vader Wagon

So little update. Haven't really gone into it too much since Thursday last week but it seems that the lower part that actuates the latch is the part becoming stuck. I took the locking mechanism off the latch to attempt to open it and the lower portion only slides about 2/3 of the full distance it appears to have as trouble. If anyone has any suggestions on how to attack this I'm all ears. I think my next step is trying to remove the rear bumper to unbolt the "U-bolt" that the latch attaches to to hopefully open the hatch and then I can take the latch out and diagnose it on the bench rather than in the car.

2005 Vader Wagon

Dove into it today and was going to remove the rear bumper buttt according to the FSM it requires removal of the brake lights which requires the hatch being open. So I'm officially stuck now for sure.

2005 Vader Wagon

Update:

Got it open today!

I ordered a new latch so that I could be destructive to the old latch to get it out and sure enough that was what I had to do. When I got it out there were the obvious drill scraps from drilling through the latch but there was also some random pieces of plastic left at the bottom. I have the latch out and on my desk now with the new one in with absolutely no issued opening or closing and I am able to cycle the oem latch using a screw driver however it doesn't seem to be very smooth which is what I think was the issue. There is definitely a lack of grease on it compared to the brand new one I just installed. As far as a walk through goes you can see where I drilled through the latch which I believe gave it enough room to be able to be opened.

25083352333_63e6540941_k.jpg

25683914196_d9b3f1a0d8_k.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

FJuan here to lube your latch.

Is the latch electrical or cable? If it's cable, then most likely the cable has stretched and cable needs some tightening up. Electrical, you could same a few bucks by pulling off the modular from the latch and clean the contact points, that's normally what goes wrong with those. Otherwise, a new unit will fix it.

My wife's balls are delicious.

magnuson did buy a 55 gallon drum of lube recently, I don't know what his problem is. :confused:

He must have used it all during his fapathon.

I loaded it onto the ship disguised as barrels of oil for use on training cruise this year.

2005 Vader Wagon

Archived