LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Job Advice

GEE-OTTO

Hello all!

So my 08 Legacy passenger side HG is starting to weep (no overheating, pressurized coolant, milkshake oil) a tad more than the past 168K miles:) While I have no issue with tearing down my engine to remove the heads and reassemble with new HGs (OEM updated HGs) I am fearful that the head or block or both may not be 100% true/flat. The car has never overheated much less risen above the 170F mark. Bone stock engine minus a AVO panel filter.

So my real question is should I shell out $3k-$3.5K for a HG job (machining+labor+little things)

OR

Do the project myself and should I encounter a untrue head deal with it then? I would replace the IM to Head gaskets, Exhaust port gaskets, Upper and lower rad hoses and reuse my timing set with a new belt (only 60K old).

This isn't my daily driver but she has been rock solid since the day I got her off the truck at the dealership :wub: While it hasn't pressurized the coolant I don't want it to get that far or even get to where its leaking, I would rather replace and have one less thing to worry about.

Thoughts? Suggestions greatly appreciated :)

• Moderators
If the motor has never overheated you shouldn't have to worry about the block not being flat. Heads are always a "check and resurface if needed" type of thing. Most seem to just deck them and be done, but if you can confirm that they are true with a machinist straight edge that should indicate they are good to go as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I had the same issue with HG weeping but never overheating, etc. Mine happened at 40k miles though. :lol:

The shop did not think that I had damaged the heads (likely followed BarManBean's advice) so we just replaced the bolts with studs and put everything back together. Worked fine and car is as good as new.

Archived