LegacyGT.com

Yay or Nay for Purchase: '13 2.5i Premium w/ 70k miles

First, you guys have an awesome, informative and very active community here! I've spent the past week or so browsing and have found these forums to be a wealth of information. Hopefully I'll soon be a Legacy owner so I can join in the fun here....

So....should I be concerned about a 1-owner, 2013 2.5i Premium Legacy with 70k miles on the clock? I should note that it was a company car, which could explain the high mileage. From the snapshot of service history that you get with a Carfax, it looks like it was taken care of with regular oil changes, rotations, etc. It recently had some wheel bearings and battery cable terminal ends replaced, as well as a thrust angle alignment. Spark plugs were replaced within the year, along with the other usual maintenance items. So yeah, it appears to have been taken care of.

But do I need to worry about the higher miles? I'm the guy that prefers the peace of mind of buying CPO vehicles, but this is a good price on a beautiful car that seems to have been well maintained.

Also, what are the usual failings on this car with higher miles? Is there anything specifically that I need to look for when inspecting the car?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!!

I purchased 1-owner, carfax buyback guaranteed 69k 2012 3.6R Limited in December. All highway miles. I put an extended 4 year/50k mile powertrain warranty on loan. Got it for a great deal, couldn't pass it up. These cars with proper maintenance will last over 200k, so I figure as long as I get an additional 70k miles which will be a little over 3 years if will be worth it, and it should hold its value pretty well.

I have a friend who works for Pepsi, and he's had a company Legacy since 2011. If it's anything like his, the miles are just long highway travel. You can never be absolutely sure it hasn't been beat on, but for the most part fleet leases are taken care of.

My thoughts exactly. Like you said you can never be certain, but I gotta believe (hope?) that's the case here.

I purchased 1-owner, carfax buyback guaranteed 69k 2012 3.6R Limited in December. All highway miles. I put an extended 4 year/50k mile powertrain warranty on loan. Got it for a great deal, couldn't pass it up. These cars with proper maintenance will last over 200k, so I figure as long as I get an additional 70k miles which will be a little over 3 years if will be worth it, and it should hold its value pretty well.

Wow, was the warranty one through Subaru? Or an aftermarket one? That might be something worth adding to the cost since the price is pretty good already. A little extra peace of mind is worth it.

My wife and I have the same car. Already have it clocked up to 84k miles :) Mostly highway miles as well from commuting 1hr each way to grad school when it was purchased.

We haven't had any major problems *knock on wood*. We haven't done any of the parts work on ours that you have listed, but I can bet during the major 90k maintenance interval (every 30k miles) we will do some preventative work for parts they usually recommend to be done around 100-110k miles. Just oil changes, tires, pads, fluids, alignments so far though.

Aside from the car's history, I would also recommend looking at the dealer you're buying from. We all know the places that just get a trade-in and put it on the lot, so if it's more reputable of a place you can feel comfort that they looked it over first. Extended warranty is also a great idea if you're getting a good deal and the offered warranty from the seller is minimal. Best of luck!

^ Good to hear the car is performing well for you with so many miles.

I think I'm just gonna go for it. It dawned on me yesterday that I'm currently paying for a '14 Accord with 50k highway miles that is now out of warranty. And I'm paying much more than I would for the Legacy. Granted, we've owned it since it was new so I know its been taken care of. But from the Carfax the Legacy appears to have been cared for, too. So ultimately I'd be paying for a car with no manufacturer's warranty left. Not too keen on 3rd party warranties, so I'll probably just roll "naked" and stash money away for repairs.

I'm still contemplating a CPO Passat, but I only want one of those with a manual gearbox and they seem to be pretty scarce around my area. Decisions, decisions...

Would stay away from VWs unless your getting a super great deal. With all the negativity in the media due to the false emissions they are not holding value well. The Accord should have good resale value as well as the Legacy. Check NADA guide and compare value of the Legacy with sale price. If it's comparable or less I would say go for it. My 3.6R was valued at 21k, NADA had it as around 18.5k, and I purchased for under 16k. Couldn't pass that deal up. When I got loan from bank, with options car had they had it valued around 21k. Banker was impressed with my purchase price.

The only issue I have seen on the forum with the 2013 2.5i is that some of them consume oil. You will want to check your oil regularly when you first buy it. The good new is if the oil consumption is excessively high, Subaru has been good about replacing the engine. I found an article that Subaru is extending engine warranty for excessive oil consumption to 8/100k miles.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit

Would stay away from VWs unless your getting a super great deal. With all the negativity in the media due to the false emissions they are not holding value well. The Accord should have good resale value as well as the Legacy. Check NADA guide and compare value of the Legacy with sale price. If it's comparable or less I would say go for it. My 3.6R was valued at 21k, NADA had it as around 18.5k, and I purchased for under 16k. Couldn't pass that deal up. When I got loan from bank, with options car had they had it valued around 21k. Banker was impressed with my purchase price.

Yeah, you got an amazing deal! Mine isn't quite that good, but I'm comfortable with the price. As far as resale value goes, you're spot on about VWs. But that's why it's a buyer's market for them right now and why I'm considering going back to VW. And while resale value should be considered when buying a car, I don't think it should sway you from purchasing a car you really like. Especially if you're getting a nice deal on it, which I'll make sure I do. There are a TON of deals on '13-'15 Passats out there right now.

The only issue I have seen on the forum with the 2013 2.5i is that some of them consume oil. You will want to check your oil regularly when you first buy it. The good new is if the oil consumption is excessively high, Subaru has been good about replacing the engine. I found an article that Subaru is extending engine warranty for excessive oil consumption to 8/100k miles.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit

Hmmm....good to know. I gleaned the name of the law firm who is in charge of the class action settlement from the comments section of that article. According to their website it looks like the Legacy I'm considering is included. Having a 8/100k warranty on the engine may just push me over the edge. Thanks for that info!

I would take the Subaru over the VW every time..

I'd be surprised to see anyone on here say anything different. Ha!

Seriously though, I'm not even trying to make this a Subaru vs. VW thing. They both have their pros and cons, IMO. If it makes you guys feel any better, I'm a VW guy very close to buying a Legacy. :lol:

So I'm looking at $14100 out-the-door for this vehicle...essentially $13160 before fees/tax. I take it this is a fair price with the higher mileage? I've checked Edmund's, KBB and NADA and they're all over the place with their pricing. Makes it tough to say what's a better than average price.

I took a lot of things into consideration when picking my next car. Insurance cost, gas mileage, performance, maintenance, reliability, and depreciation. Only option that came out better was the Focus ST but was a little bit more money. Subaru's don't depreciate very quickly. The insurance is decent (about the same as my 2014 Ford Focus) even with being a 3.6R. I got mine, with a few added options, CPO, 35k miles at $19600 purchase price. The Focus ST would have been around $21500 for similar options.

I went ahead with the Gold Plus warranty on my car. Covers it until 100k or 3 years (which I'll probably hit in 3 years with how I drive) I decided for it because the cars already 5 years old and I'll never know if I need it but I feel better. There's also the $500 trip interruption (I forget what it's called exactly) but if you're a few states away and something breaks, Subaru will reimburse you up to $500 for food and lodging while your car gets repaired, as long as you keep the receipts.

I did check my carfax and the previous owner was up to date on all the oil changes, which made me feel better. As long as all the recommended maintenance was done when it needed to be, I'd say it should be fine.

I'm also trying to convince my girlfriend that when it's time to get rid of her '05 VW Jetta 2.5, she should get a Subaru :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in late to this conversation, but . . .

In 2003, I bought a 1999 Legacy GT Limited 30th Anniversary with 104,000 miles. I finally traded it in in 2010 with 185,000 on the clock, never a bit of trouble with it, except for replacing the clutch master cylinder at 135,000 miles and the clutch itself at 165,000 miles. I traded it in only because the transmission syncros were starting to go, and I really wanted a car with an automatic transmission. I miss that car every day.

YMMV, but I have fond feelings for Subarus because of that car.

• 2 weeks later...

Super late response to this thread, but I was able to check out the car and it was BEAT. Liked the way it drove, but there's a reason it's so cheap. Looks like it was a rental--scratches all over the top of the rear bumper and tons of dings/scratches on the hood.

The hunt continues...

Archived