LegacyGT.com

What is this milky stuff in my AOS?

After about 3k miles, my AOS is full to the brim with this stuff.

Its about the consistency of milk, smells like solvent.

I expected oil in there.. is it water/oil mix? why so much?

My oil looks fine, no foamy stuff.

Thanks

catchcansmall.thumb.jpg.8062d9a368f9c16a86aad4b2473d6ce6.jpg

White milky stuff is because your oil is not getting hot enough to boil the moisture out.

That's why some AOS have a coolant line to them to help them get hot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

as its been stated before the Legacy is not a happy short drive vehicle. highway time is needed to boil out oil moisture. repeated short trips and no long term driving allows froth to accumulate in the filler neck, and Catch cans.

if your commute is short, try to combine activities as to do all your driving warmed up. Now with cheap gas, don't be afraid to enjoy your Legacy and go for a weekend drive.

Thanks for the comments guys. My commute is 25 mins if the highway is clear. It'll be 1 hour if the highway is stop and go. I do a bunch of short trips too though.

I did a bunch of research before I put in the catch can, I'm just surprised that I didn't run into any accounts of this water build up. It seems like common knowledge. =/

All is well if it just drain it frequently right?

Engines will create water regardless of how run. We have engines running full load 24/7 where I work and they still create moisture and need to have the catch can drained. Some engine designs seem to create more water than others based on what I've seen so that should be another consideration.

I'd keep an eye on it and drain it periodically, trying to figure out how much moisture is created and under what conditions.

I have a AOS that replaces my oil fill cap, if it's really cold out, I'll get a little milky build up. But its close the heat of the engine, your can is a bit away from the heat, so its running a little cooler, that's why moisture condenses there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have a AOS that replaces my oil fill cap, if it's really cold out, I'll get a little milky build up. But its close the heat of the engine, your can is a bit away from the heat, so its running a little cooler, that's why moisture condenses there.

What brand AOS do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a catch can connected to the crankcase and during the winter I have to empty in at least once a month. In rarely has any oil, just some yellowish water. I imagine if I drove a little harder there would be more oil.

What brand AOS do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to be Prova or Grimmspeed.

It's like those, I bought it off a GB on NASIOC about 6 years ago. You can see it in some of the pictures in my click here link.

Archived