LegacyGT.com

Feedback on Niche and Rotiform

Well after 3 days of going through the aftermarket wheel thread, and a few more days on various wheel sites, I have narrowed it down to either the niche citrine (18x8 40offset) or Rotiform BLQ (18x8.5 35 or 45 offset). Probably go with 235/45R18 (+1.6%) to fill some wheel gap and keep some ride quality.

My question, anyone know of the general build and finish quality of these brands? I've owned my fair share of really good (Enkei, BBS) and really bad (ADR, Verde) sets. I don't need them for autoX or anything on the track, just general daily driver wheels.

Lastly another question on fitment and clearance. From what I've gathered, any of the above wheel sizes should work. I believe the 18x8-40off is the safest fit, but which Rotiform size is best for clearance. I've tried using the willtheyfit.com links that continually get posted, but I'm unclear how to check for current clearances on my current stocks and 225/50r17. To me, it sure seems like the 225's are already snug. About 1 finger gap from the strut, and sidewall bulge is right at the fender. It's clear to me that the current 7.5 rim could go wider, as the sidewall bulge on my blizzaks are probably .5-1inch beyond the rim.

Well, 245/45R18 on 18x8.5 +45 fit with no rubbing and no fender modifications required, so you could plug that in to one of the fields on there, and your desired wheel/tire specs in the other. I have no idea how close that actually gets you to the strut, and I'm not positive how much room is left before it hits the fender, but 18x8.5 +45 w/ 245/45R18 (or 19x8.5 +45 w/ 245/40R19) are about the biggest you can fit without fender mods.

The 18x8 40 offset puts me at the same poke as you, and more room at the strut. Running a 235 buys me a bit of margin as well. Both these setups are about 15mm more poke than the stock 17x7:225's, which to be honest, I'm surprised still clears the fenders. Do you have a picture from another thread by chance? Thanks again for the help.

If it helps you, I'm at 18x8.75 +36 on 245/40/18. Dropped about 1" and no need for fender rolling. I did a slight pull in the front just in case, but it appears I likely didn't need to do that either.

That does help. I never would have figured that would fit on the front end. I am now much more confident in 18x8 40offset.

I'm surprised there are no good/bad comments on Niche and Rotiform. I remember Niche being a big deal back in the mid 90's and they were good quality back then. Google tells me that a lot of VW and Audi guys run Rotiform . Which doesn't mean a whole lot either way.

I was researching the Niche line for a while but decided not to buy a wheel that weighed in at 29lbs :0

Lol yeah that crossed my mind too. But my 3.6r is my daily rush hour cruiser. I will go fast and keep it light on my Gsxr750. :cool:

Are you really thinking of using 29 lb. rims and heavier than stock tires??? You will definitely feel that in everyday driving.

I am running 18x8 OZ Crono rims 45 offset (18.4 lb) and Michelin PS A/S3 in 245/40/18...the package is 2 pounds lighter than stock rims and tires and zero fitment issues.... they also come out to exactly the same size re speedo issues.

Adding unsprung weight is just a bad idea :(

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/5_zpsb9baa214.jpg

I hear ya loud and clear. I guess I really have no interest in improving the performance of my legacy. Making it slower doesn't bother me, because it will never be fast anyways. Between daycare pick ups and traffic jams, all I need it to do is look good and be comfortable. 😀

• 4 weeks later...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/exr_pd/D394D08C-31EA-4063-A387-5B2B7A0CCF04.jpg

Fitment on the 18x8 40 offset had plenty of room as the rest of you said. Lots of clearance inside and out. The finish on the wheels is top notch, couldn't find a single spec of imperfection. Went with 225/45 BFG Comp2's for rubber. Nice and quiet and the 45 profile eats up the bumps really well.

I think 19x9.5 +40 to +35 would be a nice daily size with 245/40/19 tires. Rotiform and niche both make good looking 'cast' wheels, but I'm not too sure on the price. If I can get a set of forged star's CF5V or CF5 for the same range, I would always go forged.

Archived