LegacyGT.com

Help!! 2010 3.6R Legacy turns over but will not start.

So I removed and replaced all of my spark plugs: Here are the rest of the pics:

Cylinder 1:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/7d2b7cf0cbb297ea3fe4675af9e637ac.jpg

Cylinder 3:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/0c28d72ff5a7f7693f3bd67170e4202f.jpg

Cylinder 5:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/0cbda166dd32a55b92982f4d1cabcdaf.jpg

Cylinder 6:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/48f944431aca80cc7c264582af3bbea2.jpg

All the plugs measured under the factory spec of 5 K Ohm according to NGK's website.

After I plugged everything back in and tried to start it and the issue still persist. Now I am really freaking confused about this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only thought is to check the following:

- Crankshaft position sensor

- Check the coil packs ( wish I done this in the first place)

- Fuses

At this point I am lost so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Check all of them IMO you are definitely not getting a clean spark on all cylinders, I would start with the coil packs you should only need an ohmmeter to check them, well really that should be all you need for testing the sensors as well.

Check all of them IMO you are definitely not getting a clean spark on all cylinders, I would start with the coil packs you should only need an ohmmeter to check them, well really that should be all you need for testing the sensors as well.

How do you pull those connectors out? No matter where I pressed down I don't feel anything depressingwhen I tried to remove it, and I do not want to break the connectors. Also, what are the specifications for the resistance levels of each coil pack?

I was looking and couldn't find one. The manual mentions putting the spark plug on each coil and verifying a spark visually. Can you do that?

I just picked this up:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/01d372148a363c930ce8e48409efc526.jpg

It's a Lisle 20610 inline spark tester. Also, I took a picture of one of my coil packs. Notice the rust around the plastic housing of the connector:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/9cb4acf7531dc6b00f22066641580c94.jpg

I will try this tester out to see what I get and hopefully get these connectors off as well to test them with a multimeter.

Oi, number five is no bueno. Definitely not a clean spark.

Yeah, and if you look at my coil pack I posted earlier, you can see some very slight separation happening at the edge. My next step is to pull these coil packs and get to testing.

I called a local Subaru dealer and they quoted $109 for just one of these coil packs. SMH at this.

I can't imagine one coil or the plugs causing a no start issue, rough running yes, but not a no-start. The only time I've encountered plugs causing a no-start issue on an engine that recently ran was when they were fouled with diesel (work experience - not my car!) and once replaced It fired right up.

I suspect the mice damaged a wire somewhere or a random fuse/sensor crapped out.

It would take a lot to make an h6 run rough. I get what you're saying but the issue probably wasn't just all of a sudden, it's probably been building for a while.

Also why we have suggested testing the parts and not blindly replacing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for looking this up. I am going to try and check the crank sensor next and then the coil packs if the crank sensor shows up ok. I figure that the crank sensor will be easier to check and test if I can get this stupid plastic cover off that is covering it. It doesn't help that we are going to be having subzero temps here in Boston over the weekend. Wish me luck, I'm still not trying to bring it to the dealer, and hey it gives me an opportunity to understand the design of my Subie. Call me stubborn I guess. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for looking this up. I am going to try and check the crank sensor next and then the coil packs if the crank sensor shows up ok. I figure that the crank sensor will be easier to check and test if I can get this stupid plastic cover off that is covering it. It doesn't help that we are going to be having subzero temps here in Boston over the weekend. Wish me luck, I'm still not trying to bring it to the dealer, and hey it gives me an opportunity to understand the design of my Subie. Call me stubborn I guess. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with learning as you go, probably how most of us got started...out of necessity not desire lol. Except Jackal that is he likes learning the expensive and hard way!:lol: Just kidding!

Let us know how the cover is removed for the crank sensor looks to be good knowledge for all of us to have.

I'll bet the furry friend found it's way to those wires. :mad::mad: oh and warmer weather is coming. :)

WTF! I decided to work on the car today and try to attack the crankshaft sensor. But before I started doing that, I decided to try and start the car one more time since the weather went from below 0 to 49 degrees in the past two days. Low and behold, my car starts. White smoke blows out the pipes and it started like nothing happened. Now I did notice that the rpm dropped slightly below 500 when I revved the engine and in one case it even died.

I went to my local Subaru dealer and talked with the shop manager who gave me insight about the issue. I explained everything to him and he told me that he had about 3 or 4 STIs sitting in the ship with them same issue. He went and pulled a fuel sample and found a majority of the sample fuel pulled from those cars had water in the system.

I guess my question is, now that my car is started, should I pull a sample of my fuel and/or should I still look into my Crankshaft sensor. Again the only major difference is that it is substantially warmer today. Other than that I did nothing ever since I replaced the plugs a couple days ago.

You know, this exact thing happen in my '99 Malibu but I thought what were the odds, haha. It got crazy cold one night and next morning I went to start it. It cranked and cranked. Nothing. Tried the next day. Nothing. Got above freezing on the 3rd day, it sputtered and started. Happened again once it got super cold again. I went out later that day, while it was still cold and it managed to start, I left it running for a minute. Drove down to the auto part store and got some HEET gas-line antifreeze and dumped it in there along with a full tank of gas. Didn't have any issues after that. Not sure how well it helped through the winter because someone rear-ended it.

I try to watch what gas station I fill up at. I usually pick Shell's that are often visited and I know they're constantly getting new gas trucked in.

You know, this exact thing happen in my '99 Malibu but I thought what were the odds, haha. It got crazy cold one night and next morning I went to start it. It cranked and cranked. Nothing. Tried the next day. Nothing. Got above freezing on the 3rd day, it sputtered and started. Happened again once it got super cold again. I went out later that day, while it was still cold and it managed to start, I left it running for a minute. Drove down to the auto part store and got some HEET gas-line antifreeze and dumped it in there along with a full tank of gas. Didn't have any issues after that. Not sure how well it helped through the winter because someone rear-ended it.

I try to watch what gas station I fill up at. I usually pick Shell's that are often visited and I know they're constantly getting new gas trucked in.

That's exactly what I do as well. The gas stations I go to are usually Shell and Sunoco, and I make sure that they are high traffic stations too. I think I may have gotten a batch of bad gas contaminated with water. I just dumped a bottle of ISO Heet in the tank and I am about to drive it around. I have to say that the car fires right up now ever since I changed the plugs from earlier. I will keep you guys posted if anything pops up.

Archived