LegacyGT.com

Problems with hub centric rings?

I'm looking to get some Enkei RPF1s in 17x9 5x100. Except my problem is that the rim bore size is 73 mm and the stock bore size is 56.1mm.

I was looking to find some aluminum hub centric rings but I've read that driving on the highway you will get vibrations and that it isn't safe to go 70+ with them on.

I was wondering if anyone had some rings with RPF1s on and how they are holding up. I have to use the freeway to get to and from work each day but I never go above 65 mph, and I don't plan on auto crossing the car. (Well maybe once or twice).

If you can find any aluminum ones please post them, and any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I've never had problems with hubcentric rings in other cars... I had plastic ones for the summer wheels on my old Corolla, never had a problem with balance/vibration/etc. You don't really need them anyway, if you have conical lugnuts and attention to detail. As long as you install them cleanly (make sure the mating surface between the hub and the wheel/ring are free of any debris), you shouldn't have any issue.

Have used both plastic and aluminum hubcentric rings on many wheels on many cars. Never had an issue, except with age, the plastic rings can become brittle and the aluminum rings can corrode.

Certainly I've never had an issue with balance or speed. If you're tracking the car, you'll probably want to go with the aluminum rings.

+1 never had issues with hubcentric rings.. in fact, it helped me cure some vibrations.

I have an extra set of aluminum ones...which might be 73mm.. just to let you know I got it through discount tire direct.. I think $20 each or $30.. but free when you get a set of rims.

Holy s***! Do you have aluminum or plastic rings and where did you get them? And what are the specs of your rpf1s? I'm looking at 17x9 so I'd have to get a 73mm to 56.1mm ring.

I have and still use both aluminum and plastic. The aluminum last longer when doing frequent wheel swaps at the track, but cost quite a bit more. Going forward I'm swapping out my old plastic ones for aluminum. Unfortunately Tire Rack and most other retailers will automatically send you the cheaper plastic ones. That said, the plastic ones cost half as much and are fine for a DD.

I have Enkei RPF1s and PF01s, in 17 x 8 and 17 x 9.

I also have Team Dynamics 17 x 8 wheels with the correct hub bore, always a plus. But the TD wheels weigh more than the Enkeis.

These are the rings I'm swapping all my plastic ones out for:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH8MDNA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GMPUWM5FEUA5]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH8MDNA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GMPUWM5FEUA5[/ame]

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived