LegacyGT.com

Ideas on wrapping a downpipe

elpoosy

I plan on purchasing a cobb downpipe soon and have been researching the topic of intercooler heat soak. I have found that turbo blankets, aftermarket heat shields, and heat tape help but what about the wrapping the downpipe? So far what I've found is two real options; down pipe blanket and exhaust wrap. The blankets available are spendy and seem to fit oddly. Most of the evidence I've found on exhaust wrap alone is that, it can lower temps, but not by much and not nearly as well as a downpipe blanket.

My question is: Could I make my own custom heat blanket / exhaust wrap for the downpipe?

My plan would be to buy some [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CON4Q6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]heat resistive material[/ame] and then use inexpensive[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B99B0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2NMBIZOMZLC5C] exhaust wrap[/ame] to hold the heat resistive material to the downpipe. I would cover the downpipe with a single layer of the heat material, and then proceed to use the wrap tightly around the material and downpipe just as you would wrap anything else. Essentially I would be creating a tight, form fitting, thermal wrapped downpipe blanket at a fraction of the cost.

I'm looking for opinions on if this is a viable idea or not. Maybe someone has already tried this and can weigh in on the conversation?

As long as you use heat safe materials I don't think you can hurt anything. The problem with your plan is the "tight wrapping"part.

Blankets and similar insulators work because they are fluffy and contain a lot of trapped air, which is a lousy heat conductor. If you squash your insulation down flat with the wrapping, you remove all the air, and with it you lose most of the insulating ability. Imagine the difference between a piece of styrofoam and a piece of solid plastic: the foam is a much better insulator.

So go ahead and use the heat blanket, but wrap it loose, not tight.

Also, be sure to wear gloves and a mask if you have to cut the blanket material. Those loose fibers can be nasty.

I would go with a DEI Titanium Wrap vs any of the glass fiber stuff mainly b/c its a dream to work with, doesn't require any post application spray and it looks really clean once installed. As far as blankets i would use a Turbo blanket like a PTP Blanket to cover the turbo as wrapping that would be tricky :)

A 50' roll @ 2" wide should work fine for a DP and maybe less if only plan to wrap neck and bellmouth.

Im getting ready to do mine. I honestly didnt realize there was a "better" wrap than the normal DEI stuff until this past weekend. I've got 100' of 2" fiberglass wrap, with the silicone spray.

I was planning to VHT all exhaust parts, wrap it with wet fiber glass wrap, let dry, then seal with the silicone spray.

I'm pretty sure Im just going to use the fiberglass, as opposed to getting the better Ti stuff. But if it's feasible that I'd be able to use this stuff on intake/fmic piping etc, I may get the Ti for the exhaust and use the fiber for later projects.

What is everyone's thoughts on painting the exhaust parts prior to wrapping? I'm just trying to prolong the rusting process. The car will be driven in inclement weather, including snow/salt.

See my click here link for what I did 4 years ago. There's pictures in there somewhere. don't over think this.

I did put the gold tape inside the stock heat shield and under the GS tmic over the turbo area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived