LegacyGT.com

question about VF52 and VF46?

Need some help about choosing turbo.

I have a 05 legacy gt 5AT about 120K miles. Although the VF40 turbo still works good, but I worry that the turbo will die someday and I also feel some vibration when the turbo kicks in at about 2000 rpm. So I am thinking about to change or to upgrade a turbo.

I want to keep my car as a daily drive, and gain a little bit more power, but I am not willing to upgrade up-pipe and injectors. Many people in the forum recommend VF52 or VF46 for a OEM setup. I am not sure which one will be good for my car. Thank you for your help in advance.

I agree with the idea of going to a VF-52 if you have any interest in mods.

But if you aren't interested in even changing out the UP to remove a cat then I'd think seriously about just replacing the VF-40 (if you even need to). Even a VF-52 will almost certainly require a tune and I just wouldn't go there if you aren't wanting to take the next few steps for a safe upgrade in power.

Replacing the up pipe rather than upgrading is a must-do as preventative maintenance. Since you have the 5EAT transmission a valve body upgrade by our forum transmission guru ClimberD@HexMods is also a no exceptions must for preventative catastrophic failure of your transmission, especially if you are going to run a stage 2 tune or better on your car. You are a new member in need of some extensive research but at least you picked the forum that has covered everything with a well organized menu. I recommend hitting up the exhaust and transmission threads A.S.A.P.

^ You could probably get away with a trans cooler and a vf52 with a conservative tune. Give you that top end that your probably want.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

if this guy does not want an up-pipe he does not want to change the turbo he probably knows nothing about cars and heard changing turbos was a simple and easy way to get power take a turbo from one suby and put on another

You want a vf52 and a catless up pipe. you should also do a catted DP at the same time as well as a new oil return hose. You should also remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back of the head.

Then get the car tuned by a "Great Tuner".

Where in NY are you, one of the best Tuners in the country is in Vernon CT and uses a Dyno in the southwest corner of CT and had use of one north of Worchester MA.

www.tuningallaince.com He has both my cars running great.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/else-loves-their-tuning-alliance-tune-246078.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys for help and advice. I get it now, if I upgrade turbo to VF52, I not only need to upgrade the exhaust, fuel injector and costumed tune to get the potential of the turbo, but also need to do more to protect the 5EAT tranny, such as VB mod and cooler.

because I worry that VF40 turbo on my car now will die someday, so if I want to replace a more reliable turbo with stock setup, which turbo you guys would recommend? Thank you.

If all you want to do is extend your reliability, longevity, while being as frugal as possible I would get an aftermarket up pipe, down pipe, have your existing turbo rebuilt by JmP6889928, and get a custom tune. If you want a little more get the 52 with the above supporting mods. The stock pump and injectors are adequate for the 52, check out Max Capacity's signature line in the above post.

I still highly recommend the VB mod by ClimberD. Even stock the VB mod makes a night and day difference that could never go un noticed.

I second the VB mod, and like he said, stock fueling is fine.

My wagon's engine is so responsive, I have no idea what people talk about when they say turbo lag. May be its something to do with the 5eat.

In most driving, I'm just a couple of hundred rpm away from turbo spooling at 2300rpm. If I need power faster I just down shift.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Now, please realize the source as I keep modding and modding and modding as I can't control my desire for more power very easily. But if you are going to replace the turbo, I would 100% do a few things to dramatically improve your power from stock levels which will not add *that* much cost.

So, like others have said, get a replacement uppipe, get a downpipe with a high-flow cat, pick from a few turbo options and get tuned.

Back in the day, I went with a BNR16g and loved it, but from driving a buddy's VF-52 wagon, I'd say it was even more stock-like in its spool and response. So get a 52, a BNR16g or a rebuilt JmP turbo, do the UP and DP (do NOT need to get a full catback exhaust at this time unless you want one), get a tune and have a blast. I second that you do NOT need to upgrade your fuel pump or injectors if you are sticking to pump gas and don't mind losing a little bit of power up top.

Can't speak for the tranny as I have a manual but I've heard nothing but rave reviews on here of the ClimberD mod.

I thought everyone was saying the Climber D VB and needles were hard to come by? Those are 2 things I would look at after my engine is back in.

If you are worried about the turbo on your car fragmenting and causing a future engine build thread, STi up is what you also want to do to prevent the newly acquired turbo from doing just that if/when the cat fails. If you are able to and feel like sticking to stockish maps, JmP the turbo. Been awhile since I went that route so I doubt he still has my VF46 core in inventory.

Can't say much on power delivery as it's not on the car and I plan on doing injectors and pump.

As for the high mile EJ, Blackstone labs the UOA not the workout supplement site.

For those that don't know I installed the vf52 at 142,000 miles and went to 21psi at that time. Again I bought the car new and knew the internals were in decent shape.

You need a great Tuner, www.tuningalliance.com is who tunes my cars. Tell Mike I sent you.

Thank you guys,

Now looks like I need to replace the uncatted up-pipe to avoid risk to damage the turbo.

SO I think I have two plans for turbo replacement.

1. customized VF40/VF46, uncatted up-pipe, ECU-tuning

2. VF52 or BNR 16G, uncatted up-pipe, Down Pipe, ECU-tuning, VB mod, (Tranny cooler?), keep stock fuel injectors and pump.

BTW, how much power the stock auto tranny can hold?

Thank you guys.

IMO I would start by looking at your current turbo to see if there any shaftplay and engine health.

A) turbo is still rock solid : install a catless UP + a stg1 tune and leave it there.

B) turbo is going bad : find a good used vf40/46 + option A

C) start modding with the above suggestions and who knows where it will get you.

My 0.02 from a guy who started with option A and now is down to path of option C...

Thank you guys,

Now looks like I need to replace the uncatted up-pipe to avoid risk to damage the turbo.

SO I think I have two plans for turbo replacement.

1. customized VF40/VF46, uncatted up-pipe, ECU-tuning

2. VF52 or BNR 16G, uncatted up-pipe, Down Pipe, ECU-tuning, VB mod, (Tranny cooler!!!!), keep stock fuel injectors and pump.

BTW, how much power the stock auto tranny can hold?

Thank you guys.

I'd replace the pump too just because of age. That's going to be my justification on my build.

Archived