LegacyGT.com

gt vs 2.5i vs 3.0

does anyone have the links to the base model or 3.0 specs? performance? I did have an 05 gt stage 2 back in the day but really think maybe should just get a base model or a 3.0 since they don't have turbos, as a daily driver. I currently have a limited 11 wrx with a stage 1 tune but want to keep it in the garage for the weekends.

just wondering if a non turbo is really slow. thanks. I'm not interested in the new legacy models.

2.5 is slow, the 3.0/3.6 are comparable to the GT/WRX but are still a pinch slower. The 3.6 I have is nice for climbing hills and just getting around (5EAT).

I have the 3.6 in my Tribeca and it's pretty good. thanks for the info.

2.5i makes best as a DD because of cost of repairs and fuel economy. Easiest to work on. I'd get the new 2.0 DI motors TBH for best fuel economy

3.0R close second. Slightly faster (think 4cyl MT Honda speeds). If you're used to the torque of a turbo car, this will really leave you feeling like something is missing; not much pull till you hit 3500rpm on stock tune. Bad on gas. Requires premium. Sounds beautiful with just mufflers. Slower than GT/WRX. Smooth and reliable. No need for timing belt till 160k miles.

3.6R better than 3.0R. Bigger more boaty car. With a tune and headers, can be a very stout motor. Both are pretty bad on gas, but 3.6R much better on costs. Both 3.0/3.6 are BUTTER smooth.

GT obviously most fun. Not the best choice for reliability and long term repair costs ESPCIALLY once the mod desire starts itching.

our 3.6R 2016 Outback has nice power, use regular gas.

I don't think you'll enjoy the 2.5i if your looking for some HP in a DD.

My wagon is my DD the Spec B is the weekend car. The wagon is faster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I love my 2.5i, it's a great daily driver and the lowest mileage I see city driving is 25. That said it is the slowest car I've ever owned. My wife's Honda Fit with a 1.5 automatic is faster In pretty much every way except off the line.

A family member has the Outback with the 3.0 and while it seems to have a wider power band and a bit more flat torque curve it honest doesn't feel that much faster than the 2.5 to me except while you're rolling at low speeds and put your foot down, you can feel that extra displacement then. That could also be the auto tranny though as my 2.5i is a manual. I see around 20 mpg when I drive it which is just OK I guess.

I have no experience with the turbo 2.5 in a GT because they're simply aren't any around here but as compared to stock WRXs but the above mentioned motors feel significantly slower. The stock turbo seems to do a decent job of having a wide power band and not needing much spool time before you're in the power but it doesn't pull that much at high rpms but I guess you can't really have the best of both worlds in that regard. No idea of mileage from personal experience though and people I've spoken to in that regard report it varying widely but these are going to be very dependent upon how you drive, much more so then the other two engines.

I did love my 07 Impreza 2.5i, since it was my first Subby and it was an Impreza. Was fun up and around the mountains, though trying pass other cars was a bit of a struggle. Gas mileage was decent - just based on fuel gauge, I never calc'd it actually, but can tell it's better than my LGT and 3.6, which are around 15-18 and 20/21 respectively.

There is def is a night and day between the NA 2.5 and the H6/FI 4.

I am glad the 3.6 uses regular gas since I already have one rich running piggy. :)

Archived