LegacyGT.com

to buy? 05 OBXT ej20y swap

I'm looking at possible purchasing an 05 outback xt manual with a ej20y swapped into it, but I noticed they didn't finish the swap and aren't using the exhaust side of the AVCS. Everything else is great or at least manageable(some damaged interior pieces). I debating on if I should get them to drop price and purchase the car to properly finish the swap, or should I pass it up?

I am capable of fixing it, I would just have to study a bit more about the swap. The main reason I'm still considering it is that its manual and it's damn near impossible to find a manual turbo subaru wagon that isn't modded to hell around here.

I would if I think they would go for that. They believe they did the swap correctly and the car is running fine. But I know the swap needs a JDM ECU to work properly, or you have to switch cams, gears, and make block off plates. If I can convince myself I can complete the correct swap without impossible hurdles, I'm going to ask significantly less and tell them the car isn't finished and wish for the best.

Saw this on Craigslist as well. Don't do it. If that engine ever breaks, your only choice will be buying a new longblock and a new ECU. I would question the work unless it was done professionally and the engine had verifiable paperwork when it was imported (re: mileage).

Really, unless you love that wagon so much that you'd be willing to dump $4-8k into it immediately after you bought it, I'd stay away.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Saw this on Craigslist as well. Don't do it. If that engine ever breaks, your only choice will be buying a new longblock and a new ECU. I would question the work unless it was done professionally and the engine had verifiable paperwork when it was imported (re: mileage).

The seller is a shop that claims they've done this swap for the last 4 years, but I don't plan on paying what they're asking, especially because the motor is severely limited in its current state. Why would I need to replace the ecu if I had to change the motor out to another ej20x?

Archived