LegacyGT.com

Advice/information wanted on launching car at drag strip.

Hi there, I am considering taking my 5th gen Gt to the local strip every now and then as I conveniently have one within a 40 min drive that does "street meet" racing every Wednesday night of the week, plus my tuner as a crew that goes down every so often n will be a bit of a social meet up 2.

I was just wondering of the technique/s for launching a awd car from standstill at the strip. This for me is unfamiliar territory, I kind of have a basicish idea of what to do but was wondering if any one here as experience in this department.

The car has a stage one tune on it, accompanied by 245 45 18 wheels on 8.5" width rims, apart from that car is stock and is a manual on stock clutch.

So i'm after advice on best way to launch the car so I have a bit of idea before hand and then get some practice when i decide to go. Info like rough rev range for launch, changing gears ect, whether to have TC on or off etc ect. Basically i just want to minimize the potential for a part failure down the line more or less.

I know that part of this will be trial and error and so forth. Any advice appreciated it. Cheers.

. Basically i just want to minimize the potential for a part failure down the line more or less.

/\ lol. If that's the case then launching the car on a drag strip is a bad place to start. If you must drag race anyways, I would start with enough money in your bank account to replace your trans/clutch/rear diff, so if it breaks you won't be stranded. Drag racing a stage 1 legacy gt on a stock clutch lol. Sounds like 16 seconds of fun.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

. Basically i just want to minimize the potential for a part failure down the line more or less.

/\ lol. If that's the case then launching the car on a drag strip is a bad place to start. If you must drag race anyways, I would start with enough money in your bank account to replace your trans/clutch/rear diff, so if it breaks you won't be stranded. Drag racing a stage 1 legacy gt on a stock clutch lol. Sounds like 16 seconds of fun.

Silly 4th gen, stock the 5th gen runs around 14.5 seconds in the 1/4 so you should be able to get around that if you are getting a decent launch.

If you are really looking to have fun and some longevity then you want to minimize driveline shock so no dropping the clutch and take it easy on power-shifting. You can set your launch control around 3800-4000 rpm but you are going to want to slip your clutch a bit so you don't bog or hopefully break anything. And then let the car cool between runs so you aren't overheating the clutch. Hopefully rutchard chimes in he has experience with a 5th gen at the track.

I found launch control at 4300 with letting the clutch out about as fast as you can lift your foot, and FFS at 5k worked the best for my setup. Don't forget to turn traction control off, and drive around the water in the burnout box.

Have you done the clutch damper delete? That will make difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm only looking at once every blue moon hitting the strip, not a weekly basis, as much as i'd love to have enough cash to blow just on a dedicated dragster or track car that isn't the situation, so got to make do with what I got, car is manual, no clutch damper delete installed.

This is just some fun every so often for me, nothing serious......

Well, leaving the damper in there could very well be accelerating clutch wear, so if you're trying to self-enable into a new clutch, you're on the right track.

Seriously, the improvement in pedal feel is worth it, never mind the improvement in clutch life.

Archived