LegacyGT.com

JDM headlight install walkthough.

Also, I believe you could just buy another illumination switch. They have the same connector and appear to be functionally the same but again I don't know for sure

There is a slight tilt that makes it so that you can't just flip over an illumination switch. The headlight leveling switch has numbers on it as well, not that you couldn't figure out that you are moving up and down with the illumination switch. The connector is also different. The headlight leveling one is slightly taller although you could trim down an illumination one to make it fit since the pins are in the same place. I'm sure this was done so you couldn't accidentally swap them.

There is a slight tilt that makes it so that you can't just flip over an illumination switch. The headlight leveling switch has numbers on it as well, not that you couldn't figure out that you are moving up and down with the illumination switch. The connector is also different. The headlight leveling one is slightly taller although you could trim down an illumination one to make it fit since the pins are in the same place. I'm sure this was done so you couldn't accidentally swap them.

Thanks for the feedback on using an illumination switch as the leveling switch. If I can't find a deal on one, I will try this as you can find used illumination switches rather cheap.

Can I use the usdm leveling switch from an 08+ sti? PN 83002AG000?

Thanks for the feedback on using an illumination switch as the leveling switch. If I can't find a deal on one, I will try this as you can find used illumination switches rather cheap.

Can I use the usdm leveling switch from an 08+ sti? PN 83002AG000?

I have a spare leveling switch if you're looking.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe I found the pigtail connector. It is a toyota part...go figure. You also need the repair wires. I believe I found the correct pins if you want make your own for much less money.

Connector: Toyota 90980-10797

Repair Wires: Toyota 82998-12340

Pins: Sumitomo Conn-11-856 (ballenger motorsports)

I haven't tested it yet as I don't have my jdm lights or a leveling switch. I found this by searching over the past day.

Also, I believe you could just buy another illumination switch. They have the same connector and appear to be functionally the same but again I don't know for sure

I gambled on the connector and it's too large. Unfortunately it's still a no go. I've spent hours searching through toyota wiring pdfs as they actually give connectors and part numbers but nothing looks close enough. The newer brz/frs has hids and a leveling switch but the connector is different.

I gambled on the connector and it's too large. Unfortunately it's still a no go. I've spent hours searching through toyota wiring pdfs as they actually give connectors and part numbers but nothing looks close enough. The newer brz/frs has hids and a leveling switch but the connector is different.

You're looking for the headlight side now?

The chassis side of the USDM high/low beam is the same as the JDM leveling motor connector. I got them off of the totaled SpecB that I got my drivetrain from.

You're looking for the headlight side now?

The chassis side of the USDM high/low beam is the same as the JDM leveling motor connector. I got them off of the totaled SpecB that I got my drivetrain from.

No. I was just trying to check if I could find a connector for the leveling switch.

I'm using the connector with the switch you sold me.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the actual manufacturer of the leveling switch connector on the dash and have the part number but I cannot find any source for the connector. I sent an email to the manufacturer to see about sourcing the connectors but I doubt I'll hear back.

Furukawa Caselanceless Compact Connector 8 position/pin female unsealed connector.

Connector part number CC08F-W PK365-08018

Pins part number MT395-05090

Edited by rhino6303
Clarity. Leveling switch connector on dash.

Is it a problem that the low and high beam share a ground on the USDM harness but appear to be separate on the JDM headlight side? The wiring for the low-beam seems heavier gauge than the USDM car-side wiring.

That is, can I split the ground to use for both the low beam and the high beam on the JDM headlight side?

Edited by JF1GG29

Is it a problem that the low and high beam share a ground on the USDM harness but appear to be separate on the JDM headlight side? The wiring for the low-beam seems heavier gauge than the USDM car-side wiring.

That is, can I split the ground to use for both the low beam and the high beam on the JDM headlight side?

I don't think it is an issue as many people have done the install. I plan on keeping it this way as well. I de-pinned all of the connectors and bought additional pins for a clean install.

• 4 months later...

Well I've been doing the headlight/front end swap the last day and a bit. The turn signal bulbs were missing so I found an equivalent with gm. Otherwise nobody near me carries the WY21W.

These are for the Chevy Spark, but they fit the socket and do work!

d1560ed964a501e217817dd2fa589e82.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by MaasaiWarrior
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Well I've been doing the headlight/front end swap the last day and a bit. The turn signal bulbs were missing so I found an equivalent with gm. Otherwise nobody near me carries the WY21W.

These are for the Chevy Spark, but they fit the socket and do work!

d1560ed964a501e217817dd2fa589e82.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My understanding was that WY21W is the same as 7440, but I can't recall if I'm using the original JDM bulbs or not

• 2 years later...

I hooked everything up according to the walkthrough, yet my DRLs seem to ONLY work with the HID low beams. If I'm not mistaken, I thought the DRLs would only be the LED side "bar" near the turn signal. Did I miss a step?

Also, using the low beam HIDs as the DRLs, I'm getting a bit of flicker.

• 8 months later...

So sorry to bring this thread back, but I was referred here from the SubaruOutback messageboard.

Long story short, I wished to get rid of my current USM lenses (due to cracks and internal fog/cloudiness) and install either European (my top choice, but can't find them anywhere) or JDM lenses. I got the lenses for under $200.00, intending to bake both lights and switch... but the housing I got is a full-out housing, with all bulbs (HID), pigtails and everything in working order.

So instead of just doing the lens swap, I'm exploring just installing the entire light.

Sadly though, I don't have any tools or know-how on how to do this and while I understand mechanics and how things work, I have less than minimal mechanical/electrical knowledge, thus I wouldn't really want to attempt this myself.

Therefore, if my lights look like this...

1616632680079-png.506920

...am I able to do the swap that is mentioned in this thread or would I need to go through greater hoops? Would I literally need to just cut the wires in my car and attach them to the corresponding wires on the lights (according to the guide here) or will there be more involved?

Any help is appreciated, many thanks!

Here ya go... plug and play but you do need to flip the shields.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-usdm-headlight-harness-bl-bp-283236.html

Excellent, I thank you very much! I will move my inquiry to that thread :)

EDIT* Which I can't do yet lol. I sent a PM to the maker of the harnesses (AW4BYT), so I can get everything sorted out :)

Thanks again!

Edited by Truck_1_0_1_

Apologies for the double post, but I just ordered the plug and play harness from AW4BYT (Mahalo, Ralph!) and I was wondering if I should keep the turn signal bulbs that came with the housings or should I get brand new, fresh bulbs?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...
Received my harnesses from Ralph today, impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship. I've done enough wiring on my own to appreciate the work Ralph has done. Thanks man!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Received my harnesses from Ralph today, impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship. I've done enough wiring on my own to appreciate the work Ralph has done. Thanks man!

Mahalo 🤙🏾

Apologies for the double post, but I just ordered the plug and play harness from AW4BYT (Mahalo, Ralph!) and I was wondering if I should keep the turn signal bulbs that came with the housings or should I get brand new, fresh bulbs?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

If they are still orange you should be good to go. I have notice with a lot of jdm headlights I’ve sold they are somewhat discolored and have a smoked color to them which would warrant a swap out.

If they are still orange you should be good to go. I have notice with a lot of jdm headlights I’ve sold they are somewhat discolored and have a smoked color to them which would warrant a swap out.

Mahalo, Ralph! I'm getting it all hooked up tomorrow or Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes! :D