LegacyGT.com

Basic B25 head questions

Looking for a little clarification and advice on swapping heads.

I have a stock EJ255 long block with heads and block needing a refresher.

Local seller has B25 single AVCS heads for $750.

Says they were just cleaned, decked, new valve and cam seals, lashed and valve job done by Pro-Formance Specialties

Questions:

1 - Going from Dual to Single AVCS. Good? Bad? ECU problems?

2 - New CR would be 8.11 I'm not clear on the impact of this.

Seller does have ej257 internals; should I pursue a more stock CR using those?

3 - Is $750 a good price? and what do you think I could get for my old heads?

4 - Would I be better off just rebuilding my current heads? Which I'm pretty sure are D25, unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks

1. You do not have D-AVCS heads, not unless you're in a GRB or BM/BR9.

2. Lower compression means less torques off boost and slightly worse fuel consumption.

3. No idea.

4. I prefer the D25 heads.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the responses.

My mistake, had it in my head that they were D-AVCS.

The seller actually just sent me a picture and he mistakenly said they were B25, they are actually D25. So I'd still have the CR difference.

WP_20151221_21_18_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.b9e5c18791087aa84b98a1ba877fb83c.jpg

WP952015121795199506951895Pro.thumb.jpg.d38b4910fe1c2c6be85fbcf558e6f842.jpg

Myself and at least two others on this forum have swapped/ are swapping to D25 heads. Expect everyone to tell you there will be a bump in compression. 8.2 to high 8s. Nasioc says 8.78.

If you replace the OCV, make sure to get them for a D25. The oil feed lines will be different as well, and various years of D25 have different lines from other D25 heads.

If you replace the OCV, make sure to get them for a D25. The oil feed lines will be different as well, and various years of D25 have different lines from other D25 heads.

Thanks, good info that is hard to stumble into.

Why don't you just have your heads rebuilt and save all the drama.

Max, you are probably right, but here's what I've been thinking.

They look like a good price($750), similar to what I can sell the old ones for. And also similar to the cost of a rebuild anyway right?

This way I could also spread out the purchases a bit to keep the wife less... :eek:

Would also be one less item on the list to take care of when I get into it. Looking to do a 5eat rebuild and vb mod, shortblock work (minimum rings and hone - hopefully more), and cleaning up the heads.

Based on the replies here, currently thinking...

I might be better off NOT get them, if they really don't bolt right up.

I might go for it if its simply a matter of the small compression change. Then have a spare set to play with porting, cams, and springs at my leisure.

Thoughts on that note? I do appreciate the advice of people who have tinkered with rebuilds, I'm not worried about honest opinions here. ;)

What are your goals and what fuel can you buy locally?

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm still thinking pass on them stay stock and stay happy comes to mind. Keep what you got.

Be more concerned about the health of your turbo.

I believe these heads are fairly inexpensive to rebuild. Find a great machine shop in your area. Talk with them about your plans.

I say it all to often, my vf52 on stock fueling is fun to drive everyday. Plenty of power.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max, I see what you are saying. The seller had work done at a local shop, and said they were easy to work with and seemed knowledgeable. I'll contact them first.

fahr_side, I submitted a reply to your message yesterday, but it isn't showing up here for some reason. So here is the jist of what I wrote into the abyss :)

I have E85 readily available locally, and my fuel system is pretty much ready for e85, but I'm inclined to stay with 93 because its easier. I have ID1000 top feed conversion, ID fuel line kit, and DW65c. Turbo is one of JMP's, VF46 w/ billet wheel.

I'd like to get to 300hp, which is not likely on the current turbo. Being practical, I should just do a stock rebuild to get one 'under my belt' before trying a built motor. My tranny could use the extra attention for now anyway :)

Thanks

When it comes time for more HP just add a psi or two of boost. It's much cheaper then cams and head work.

Sounds like the fuel system and turbo is where it needs to be.

If you have doubt's have a compression test done.

May be I'm getting threads mixed up but, what's your mileage and how's the timing belt ?

What do you have for a tmic ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

stock tmic, no sign of leaks or fingers bending, mr. gasket o-ring on there.

running 17.5 to 18.5 psi but looks like the turbo can hold 24lbs if ever needed (from pre-tune logs)

compression test was uniform at 120 +/- 3psi, taken warm not hot.

oil analysis came back great, but currently burning quite a bit of oil 3qt/OCI, which started right after the etune and turbo upgrade.

all regular maint is up to snuff, 120k miles

other random mods:

tgv delete

perrin inlet

dual catch can (pre pcv - basically stock routing - did my research here)

catted cobb dp + borla catback + ultra quiet resonator (its not ultra quiet, lol)

wideband 02

3 port EBCS

V3 Accessport

mods already mentioned:

ID 1000 topfeed conversion

fuel lines

DW65c

Max, FYI I've read through your engine build thread too, good stuff.

Are you using Shell Rotella t6 for motor oil ?

The oil usage is the normal formula, more boost = more oil usage.

It's blow by IMO.

Your fine for a while, just keep the oil level topped off. More oil is better then less.

Archived