LegacyGT.com

Final misfire thread

I'm calling this the final misfire thread because it's the last one I'll post. I'm about to bring my car down to my buddies uncles shop to replace the clutch and figure out what is causing my misfire. Just want opinions on what it could possibly be. Here's what I have replaced so far; (ej25d)

Spark plugs (ngk iridiums 0.44 gapped)

Spark plug wires

Coil pack

Igniter

Fuel injectors

Fuel pump (went out one day)

Cam position sensor

Crankshaft position sensor

Gates timing belt kit

Crankshaft timing pulley

Remuanfactered heads

Head gaskets

Ecm

This problem has persisted since I've owned it and have had misfire codes popped since I've owned the car. The misfire codes change constantly. One that pops up the most is p0304. I've narrowed it down to either wiring, timing, or the cats. Everything I have done has been done correctly and I've even brought it to a Subaru shop here in my town and they can't find the problem. Just getting last minute opinions before I work on it what people might think it could be

This is what it says for a misfire. Which is why i have done everything I have done. Compression comes back good (i didn't do the test personally but the shop said that my compression is perfect), ignition components came back good, and fuel pressure is good. I am beginning to think it might be the 02 sensors. They were not fully checked when I had them check it. I have a brand new one for the upstream.

2111782045_ScreenShot2016-01-11at9_53_48PM.png.9e953a7304041ca286287510e9bb18be.png

Tr00b you make a good point there. My fiancés uncle asked if my car is chattery (meaning rough starting out from first from a stop) and he said my flywheel might be toast or needs to be surfaced. So it works out that I'm doing a full clutch kit on my car. Hopefully that will solve the mystery

For that matter a bad harmonic balancer could cause the Same effect as a bad flywheel. Check out the rubber on it, if it's cracked a bunch or squeezing out you might do good to try a different one

one thing that isnt on that list that caused my ghost misfire is the timing sprocket. i changed everything chasing my code down as well, but didnt solve it until i noticed the timing sprocket had the nubs chewed down by the sensor being too long, causing the misfire that wasnt actually misfiring. when i changed that out, no more code.

for the record,

this pick is NOT the correct position for installing the timing belt.

i do not think anyone suggested it was,

but i do not want anyone making a mistake because it was not specified.

http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Timing%20Belt/Crank%20at%20TDC%20and%20timing%20mark%20sm.jpg

Archived